ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

My Mask Isn't Redrawing Every Frame

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Gal
My Mask Isn't Redrawing Every Frame
on Sep 23, 2012 at 9:48:12 pm

I'm doing a frame by frame mask. But what I've noticed is that the mask itself doesn't seem to stick to my pen shape I've drawn for a single frame.

(This has happened to me before, and I had to adjust the mask shape the frame before to fix it. That's not the solution I'm looking for now.)

What am I doing wrong here?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: My Mask Isn't Redrawing Every Frame
on Sep 24, 2012 at 1:50:05 am

Generally, you're doing lots wrong with your rotoscoping technique.

Check out this video
and this http://www.qvolabs.com/acrobat/Rotoscoping.pdf.

I suggest that you use the rotobrush or even autotrace since the background is white.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Andrew Gal
on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:44:11 am

It's a 30 frame animation. It's also about 100 by 100 pixels. I'm not looking for shape integrity or doing this fast. I'm trying to be as precise as possible and create a perfect seam.

The background isn't white. That's my mask. The white is the composition background.

So, can someone actually give me a technical reason for why my mask is not following the pen path?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 24, 2012 at 6:33:59 am

Andrew, your roto-ing technique is wrong. If you run with only the tips of your toes or will only the balls of your feet touching the ground, it doesn't matter if you run for 10 meters or a marathon - in a stadium or across the Sahara - it's still wrong.

I've never seen nor heard of such an issue as you are experiencing but I am pretty certain that your issue is related with your roto-ing technique.

You now have a keyframe on each frame; unless you have interlaced footage within a suitably designated comp, there will be no interpolation from one frame to the next! This is basic animation or keyframing logic.

I have a wee bit of time to look at your issue if you can post the clip and the AEP on the COW for me to have a look-see. In fact, I doubt if I need the clip; just the AEP will do.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]