ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

MTS files stopped working

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven J CaseyMTS files stopped working
by on Sep 23, 2012 at 5:57:50 pm

This morning the Adobe updater installed updates for a number of CS6 programs. This seems to have caused MTS files to become unplayable. I can't open them in any of the Adobe programs (Media Encoder, AE, PP), not in Sony Vegas, not in Windows Media Player. Anyone else run into this? What should I do to get these playing again?

Win 7 Ultimate Service pack 1
CS6 (just updated)
Vegas 10
Dell M6500 i7, 16GB RAM

Thanks
Steven

Return to posts index

Steven J CaseyRe: MTS files stopped working
by on Sep 23, 2012 at 6:00:53 pm

BTW, these files were shot on Panasonic AF100. They played fine previously and I was editing/rendering them. Not sure what happened just today other than the updates from Adobe.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: MTS files stopped working
by on Sep 23, 2012 at 8:07:26 pm

Have you tried reinstalling the AVCCAM Importer software from Panasonic?

Return to posts index

Steven J CaseyRe: MTS files stopped working
by on Sep 23, 2012 at 9:13:07 pm

That looks to be for Mac, I'm on a Windows machine. Or did I miss something on the website?

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: MTS files stopped working
by on Sep 24, 2012 at 4:42:35 am

Sorry, I imagined there might be some sort of Windows equivalent.

Return to posts index

Thomas LeongRe: MTS files stopped working
by on Sep 24, 2012 at 12:15:38 pm

Try this -
1. Try a mpg file that you know has played well before. Does this still work with your programs?
2. If no, then likely your mpeg1/2 codec is broken somewhere and needs a re-install/repair.
3. if yes, make a copy of one .mts file to .mpg and try it. If this works, rename all mts files to mpg. You can do a global rename with a DOS-type command such as in the Command prompt window c: and type rename *.mts *.mpg
4. If (3) does not work, then see (2).

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2012 at 12:46:37 pm

Addendum
Think rename may not work from the root directory.
Then negotiate to the directory where your .mts file are from the Command prompt, and type the command there.
An alternative is to create the Rename command as a batch file (eg. rename.bat) wherein it points to the directory of .mts files) and you can then run the batch file from the root directory or from Windows Desktop.

In Win9x and XP, there was a way to create a new file-type and associate it with a program to open with. In Win7, this easy ability seems to have been lost, and one can only associate a file-type from a set menu/procedure. Am still looking...and if I find a way, I'll let you know.
Meanwhile, try Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Set Associations > scroll down to .mts and see if you can associate it with, say, Windows Media Player or some other program; or right-click on an .mts file from Windows Explorer > Open With > Default Program > choose and enable 'Always use selected program to open this type of file'.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2012 at 1:09:47 pm

Found a way: FileTypesManager from -
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Works on Win 7. You should be able to add/edit the actions (open and or play) to any file extension you need.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]