ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trapcode Particular Problem!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Andersson
Trapcode Particular Problem!
on Sep 22, 2012 at 8:51:32 pm

Hi all you clever graphicartists out there!
Here is my prob:

In Trapcode Particular 2, I`ve made this "smoke-sausage" kind of effect following a Motion Path with a light layer. It starts at point A and works its way to point B for 2 seconds.
When it reaches point B, the whole "sausage-thing" sort of hovers there for a while with the smoke particles pumping their way through the path (from A to B). So far so good.
But then I want it to withdraw to point A again, still with the particles pumping from A to B, i.e the smoke-sausage should get shorter and eventually end up disappairing at its original point A.

I thought it would be as easy as keyframing the particle liftime from x seconds to 0, thus making the particles successively die out from point B to A. But nooo.... the die out from point A to B just as they do when killing the particles/sec flow. How`bout that? No logic anywhere....

A kingdom for a sollution!
:)
/Tom

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Trapcode Particular Problem!
on Sep 24, 2012 at 7:40:25 pm

Don't use a light emitter; use a layer emitter. Build out your shape, animate it growing from point A to B, then shrinking back from B to A, and use the layer to drive the particle emission.

[Tom Andersson] "I thought it would be as easy as keyframing the particle liftime from x seconds to 0, thus making the particles successively die out from point B to A. But nooo.... the die out from point A to B just as they do when killing the particles/sec flow. How`bout that? No logic anywhere...."

An individual particle's lifetime is determined by the value of the Particle Life parameter at the time it is born. Once a particle has been born, it will not be affect by subsequent changes to this parameter.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]