ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Models in CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey Lesnick
3D Models in CS6
on Sep 21, 2012 at 9:17:57 pm

I've never used 3d models in after effects before, so I need a little help. I'm trying to import a 3d model of SCP 173 into after effects, but the texture and model are two seperate files. I do know that Photoshop is necessary, and I do have it. Does anyone know how to do this?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: 3D Models in CS6
on Sep 21, 2012 at 9:25:51 pm

That was taken out of CS6. Check out Element 3D for using 3d models in AE.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Joey Lesnick
on Sep 21, 2012 at 9:49:39 pm

I don't exactly have the money for that. Is there any free program that I could use?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 21, 2012 at 10:00:09 pm

I know of no free of cheaper plugins that allow you to use 3D models with the power and beauty of Element 3D.

Proanimator allows you to create 3D text and logos. And on a limited basis import 3D objects, but that aint free or cheap either. ;-)

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

mathew fuller
on Sep 21, 2012 at 10:10:27 pm

If you dont have the money for that how did u afford after fx??? Its not only one if the best plugs its one of the cheapest.

When people say they cant afford plugs like this. Ibsay its a 99 percent chance they are using hacked software as well.

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 21, 2012 at 10:15:55 pm

[mathew fuller] "If you dont have the money for that how did u afford after fx??? Its not only one if the best plugs its one of the cheapest. "

The "high" initial cost of getting into After Effects is gone. You can subscribe to Creative Cloud for $50/mo.

Many creatives I know spend more money every month on coffee than they do on creative tools -- although I suppose you could argue that coffee IS a creative tool...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 21, 2012 at 11:46:44 pm

[Walter Soyka] "you could argue that coffee IS a creative tool..."

Except for folks like me with high blood pressure. For us its a time bomb ;-)

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Joey Lesnick
on Sep 21, 2012 at 11:51:12 pm

Here's the thing. I'm fourteen, and I've been saving for about 6 months for it. I'm using the trial version right now because I've almost earned enough money. I'm just trying to learn the program before I buy it. And I know that it is possible without that, because I've seen it done with just Photoshop and After effects, unless they removed the 3d feature. That would be a bit disappointing.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 21, 2012 at 11:53:26 pm

Yes, the feature you refer to has been removed from CS6

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Joey Lesnick
on Sep 21, 2012 at 11:58:11 pm

D: Oh well. I guess I can just render 2d images and sequences in blender, and just use those. Thanks for letting me know about this. Otherwise I'd just waste a bunch of time trying to get 3d models into Ae.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 22, 2012 at 12:46:18 am

That's what this forum is here for, learning from the people who have already made the mistakes you want to avoid.

Since you are getting started you might enjoy these free basic series for learning AE. Video Copilot Basic Training series

After Effects basics tutorials by Andrew Devis

Check out this page from Todd Kopriva from Adobe. Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6) It has a lot of great resources for when you first start out.

And besides the Andrew Davis tutorials, there are hundreds of other great tutorials here at the cow.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 22, 2012 at 2:11:20 am

When you feel comfortable with AE, try out the tutorials at Video Copilot. They will knock your socks off :D

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 24, 2012 at 7:52:25 pm

[Joey Lesnick] "I've seen it done with just Photoshop and After effects, unless they removed the 3d feature."

I was never a big fan of Photoshop 3D in After Effects, anyway. I found the back and forth between AE and PS for lighting to be very limiting.

[Joey Lesnick] " I guess I can just render 2d images and sequences in blender, and just use those."

You'll get much better results with this approach, and you'll get to learn a bit about 3D, too.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]