ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Copy text characters only

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
riccardo sintiCopy text characters only
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 7:37:53 pm

Is there a way to copy / paste text from text layers without acquiring the color or stroke properties?
If i set up a type style that uses multiple layers of type with different colors and strokes then want to change the wording I would like to make those changes without having to redo the stokes and colors.
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Copy text characters only
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 11:24:31 pm

One way is that you could twirl open your text and alt-click on the "Source Text" to create an expression, then using place your text inside quotes ---> "Example". Not the most elegant solution.

Another way, which isn't exactly what you wanted but I think would work better would be to apply effects and layer styles. You could do a fill effect for color and a layer style for stroke. Then your copy and paste and it would change the effects at all.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Copy text characters only
by on Sep 22, 2012 at 2:50:16 am

You can Pick Whip the Source Text property to create an Expression link to another Text Layer. With such a feature, you can create a 'master text layer' where the other Text Layers' Source Text property are linked to. To duplicate the effect with different, you simply duplicate the comp and change the 'master text layer' in the comp.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved