ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Warp Stablizer filling system drive and crashing system

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom MastersWarp Stablizer filling system drive and crashing system
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 3:05:05 pm

I am warp stablizing a 2K clip that is approx. 4 minutes long.

Warp Stablizer seems to make intermediate frames for the process.
It seems to be putting these frames onto my system OS drive, which fills up to a point where I have to shut down all processes.

I HAVE set all cache, and overflows in AE preferences to a large RAID that can handle the intermediate frames. But AE doesnt seem to be using it.

Any way to remedy this, or fix?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Warp Stablizer filling system drive and crashing system
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 5:54:04 pm

Do you need all 4 minutes as a single take? You may split the clip and stabilize the pieces separately if you don't.

What OS are you using, and what drive is the clip located on? If the system is creating temp files, there may be a way to point the default temp folder elsewhere.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tom MastersRe: Warp Stablizer filling system drive and crashing system
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 6:12:34 pm

yes, unfortunately it is a single take shot, all is needed and is continuos, 4 minutes long.

The source clip exists on a connected server (high speed, huge storage)

OS is 10.6.8

system drive is a 120GB SSD

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2012 at 6:26:37 pm

Maybe there's a chance that AE is writing the temporary files alongside the project file -- is that the case? Is the AEP on your system drive?

If AE is using the system's global tmp directory to store the tracking data used by Warp Stabilizer, then it might be possible to move it to a different volume by pointing the /tmp symlink elsewhere (by default it points to /private/tmp). I am not sure if this will work here, or if it will cause anything else to break.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2012 at 6:51:22 pm

Hi Walter.
I am assuming AEP means project file? If so, no, the project file is also on the server, not system drive.
If you meant AE program itself, then yes, on the system drive.

I am not sure how I would go about what you mentioned: "... move system's global tmp directory to a different volume by pointing the /tmp symlink elsewhere "

One other option i am experimenting with is disk cache.
I have it turned ON, and pointing to a RAID large enough to handle this, but will try with it OFF as well.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2012 at 8:47:26 pm

[Tom Masters] "One other option i am experimenting with is disk cache. I have it turned ON, and pointing to a RAID large enough to handle this, but will try with it OFF as well."

I don't think this will make a difference. Warp Stabilizer is collecting information about the movement of pixels within the frame, not actually creating new visuals that would be cached.

[Tom Masters] "I am not sure how I would go about what you mentioned: "... move system's global tmp directory to a different volume by pointing the /tmp symlink elsewhere ""

I'd consider cloning the boot drive onto a larger external volume and running from that for this project.

A symbolic link is similar to an alias or shortcut -- it's a file that points somewhere else.

You'd have to hop into Terminal, delete the /tmp symlink, then create a new symbolic link pointing to an existing directory on another volume:
sudo rm /tmp
sudo ln -s /Volumes/ExternalHD/tmp /tmp

If you want to change the /tmp symlink back to normal:
sudo ln -s /private/tmp /tmp
See this Apple support doc [link] for more.

WARNINGS:
I want to re-iterate that I'm not sure if this will work in the first place (that would depend on Warp Stabilizer writing to the /tmp directory), and I'm not sure if it will break something else. I don't know what will happen when you reboot if anything tries to write a temporary file before the external drive has been mounted. I'm not in front of a Mac right now to try it myself. I do wish you luck, and I'd love to hear back if you find a good solution.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: Warp Stablizer filling system drive and crashing system
by on Sep 23, 2012 at 6:08:23 pm

I'd recommend trying to do all this on local drives instead, if possible. Warp Stabilizer is very very intensive both CPU wise and drive wise. Your project file will be massive - this appears to be where AE stores the information it collects.

At least make sure your project contains this comp and nothing else. Always do Warp Stabilize in separate projects from anything else.

I did a very large project recently, it had about 40 final comps, maybe 200 sub-comps, and several hundred source files.
I also used Warp Stabilizer on 4 shots, about 30 seconds each. I placed those 4 comps in a separate project. The Warp Stabilize project was nearly twice the size of the main project.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2012 at 3:20:57 pm

Hi Jon.
Good advice, thanks.
Seems Warp Stablize does not put the intermediate media where the project is, rather defaults to system OS drive.

I wish there was a way to change this within AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]