ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting FROM AE as AppleProRes422 into final cut pro?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther Casas
Exporting FROM AE as AppleProRes422 into final cut pro?
on Sep 20, 2012 at 6:52:59 pm

Hello everybody!

I've been going through several forums regarding what is the best output module for a film that will be screened on festivals, so it will be viewed in a huge size screen and it might be broadcasted on TV.

I was told that AppleProRes 422 is my best choice. I am exporting the QT in After Effects into Final Cut for editing, and in FC I am going to set it up as AppleProRes422, but I was told that AppleProRes422(HQ)is overkill.
The film is 2K size, why is it an overkill then? I assume there will not be a difference on image quality then?

I really need to make sure what is the best setting to project a 2K film in high definition on theatrical screenings...
thank you all!
E.

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Exporting FROM AE as AppleProRes422 into final cut pro?
on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:30:52 pm

Before we can answer your questions we need to know what kind of footage you are working with? size and format? the choice of the codec will depend on how much information you already have in the first place. For example, in my experience, if you are working with HDV or DVCPROHD footage, you will not gain anything by transcoding to Apple ProRes HQ over regular Apple ProRes.

Now if you are working in After Effects and that the video is just a component of your composition and that you are working in 16 or 32-bit, and adding some graphics elements, then it might make a difference to choose ProRes HQ.

Again it really depends on your workflow and the original footage format. In the doubt it is always a good thing to run your own test and see the result through your own workflow.

I hope this helps,

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:47:10 pm

Hello David!

This is a stop-motion film shot on a canon 40D, so we have raw sequences at 2048X1152 size, being exported as QTs..

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Sep 20, 2012 at 8:29:04 pm

Are you working in 16/32-bit AE project?

Again run your own test but in your case I would export using Apple ProRes HQ to make sure I retain most of the information you capture with your still camera.

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Sep 20, 2012 at 8:32:50 pm

Some of our files are 8bpc, and some 16bpc, i am doing tests to see if there is any difference when changing the bpc...Should all be 16bpc if we render Appleprores422? Or, can we have a mix of shots 8 and 16bpc anyway?

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Sep 20, 2012 at 9:56:51 pm

you can mix and match.

If you go through AE anyway, I will create all my compositions in 16/32 bits per channel, even if you have some 8-bpc footage. The idea is you will be able to better represent more color per pixel, like any color gradients will look smoother. Also if you intent to go through color correction, you will get more flexibility in grading your film.

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 21, 2012 at 9:14:43 pm

[Esther Casas] "I was told that AppleProRes 422 is my best choice. I am exporting the QT in After Effects into Final Cut for editing, and in FC I am going to set it up as AppleProRes422, but I was told that AppleProRes422(HQ)is overkill. The film is 2K size, why is it an overkill then? I assume there will not be a difference on image quality then?"

If you really want overkill, you can use ProRes 4444...

For most footage, the difference between ProRes 422 and ProRes 422 HQ is not noticeable to the eye, though there will be slight mathematical differences. For some footage (high bit-depth footage, extremely high detail or motion), ProRes 422 HQ is visibly better. A quick test with your own footage should be enough to convince you.

Coming from a Canon RAW image sequence, depending on your footage, it's possible that the difference in rendering in 8bpc vs 16bpc in Ae would be more noticeable than the difference between rendering to ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ.

[Esther Casas] "I really need to make sure what is the best setting to project a 2K film in high definition on theatrical screenings..."

You need to get in touch with the festivals and see what their requirements are.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]