ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Workflow from Photoshop through Illustrator to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan BiercewiczWorkflow from Photoshop through Illustrator to AE
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:12:20 pm

Hi all,

I need some general advice about the best workflow for the following;

I have about 30 raster images with backgrounds removed in photoshop, which I need to trace to vector images in illustrator and then bring into AE to create a 1920x1080 motion gfx sequence.

I have all my images currently saved as PSD files, and have played around with vectorising them in Illustrator. In their current resolution (most are around 3000 x 3000px) they seem too big to vectorise (it either takes a long time or just stops halfway through the process), but if I lower the image size in photoshop and then try to vectorise I end up with white pixels around the image. If anyone can advise me about the best way to try and tackle this, and any general advice about their workflows on similar projects I'd really appreciate it!

Also if anyone has any advice about what I can do with this project to speed up render time when I'm putting the motion gfx together in AE, that would be great. There are a lot of elements involved in the final piece and I would rather not be confronted with a massive render time at the end of this!

Working on an iMac with;
Adobe CS5.5
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
8GB 1333 MHz DDR3
In AE I'm working in '3D' (z-axis)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Workflow from Photoshop through Illustrator to AE
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:24:28 pm

You do not need large size image to trace in AI. Also no need to cut them in PSD. You can trace the image and then delete the unwanted vector shapes. If you get white pixels around the object, you can use select same fill to select all of them and then delete. It may take a bit of work but there's no way around it. One other thing you can try without trying to delete the white pixels around the objects is to apply a Matte Choker in AE and see if that gets rid of them without messing your edges.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Ryan BiercewiczRe: Workflow from Photoshop through Illustrator to AE
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 1:12:20 pm

Thanks very much, I've had a play round with the images and this info was really helpful - cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved