ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

swf won't update.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashton Bryantswf won't update.
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:08:20 pm

Hello. I have been using flash for a good amount of time, and just a little bit of training on AE. I am on a website known as, and I've been making maple animations since december. I've just learned, not too long ago, that After Effects could render a SWF that's made in flash, so i was rather happy to try something new than what I've learned everything on.

So here we go. Make flash animation, aaaaand mess with ae. Success!

Then, i learned you could actually use backgrounds in ae. even, animate most of the big objects while the swf alone could only have characters.

In ae, before, I tried animating. I had a map in flash to work with, among other things. This time, my swf is completely blank, save for my characters who are going to be fighting. (And the characters are sonic fan character sprites, go figure.) Before, I just did the camera in ae. Now, I'm doing everything. Moving the ground, camera shakes, he moon, the sun (If any) the dust, the clouds, just about everything, because I just got an ae pack of stuff that I'm dying to open and use..

however, without a map, i have little to no expertise on how i want to move things. So i looked at other AE animators, and found out they could just import a swf into AE and work on it there. this is my problem. I tried to do what I saw, and... low and behold, i can import the swf into ae. la~ But, if I try to edit the swf again in flash, then... flash cannot create the movie. What?! I thought I broke something, so i closed flash and ae (After saving, that is) and reopened flash to make the swf again. it was made! but when i open ae again, i can no longer make the swf until i close ae. This is the irritating part. I cannot work in ae and flash simultaniously, but i see other animators can, and it's rather nerve wrecking.

If you would like a good example of what I'm trying to explain, look at this video and skip to 1:15:00 and watch until 1:16:20.

that one little action where he edits it in ae, recreates it in flash, and edits it more in ae (If you continue watching) after updating, is what I'm trying to get. But it's too far from my knowledge.

could someone please help?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved