ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating demo videos of screen shots...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant WilberCreating demo videos of screen shots...
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 11:24:59 am

How does a video demoing software like this get made:

Everything is crystal clear, is all that created in photoshop/after effects rather than actual shots of the screen?

I'm working on a software demo video and am getting actual footage of the software from the client with a mix of resolutions. 1152x720, 768x480, 800x600

Recreating all this is stuff as graphics isn't an option now, but whats the best way to keep all the text and things clear as possible? Should I make my project resolution small and scale the big stuff down?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Creating demo videos of screen shots...
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 2:29:47 pm

Hi Grant -

I use Camtasia, screen capture software which allows you to capture motion from the computer screen, and do all sorts of other things, such as follow the mouse point with a virtual camera, putting animated icons where the mouse clicks, etc.

Some clients send me footage, but my preferred way of working is to get the software from the client, install it on my machine, and, working from a scratch track or the final voice over, time the movements with the VO.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Greg LeslieRe: Creating demo videos of screen shots...
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 12:29:30 am

In the video you linked to, it looks like most of it was rebuilt, either in Photoshop or Illustrator (or AE itself) and animated in AE. In fact, probably the only real screen capture is the image manipulation going on inside the demo capture window.

Kind of depends on your project, your client and their expectations -- sometimes you can get away with actual screen recordings, sometimes you might need to just animate a cursor, or build some closeup sections or menu animations. If the sequence moves quickly enough, you'd be surprised what you can get away with.

Greg Leslie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved