ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using Masks and Tracking Data together without shortening the layer.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh BrineUsing Masks and Tracking Data together without shortening the layer.
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:29:01 am

Im creating a garbage Matte for my footage, just a rough roto of a swinging arm.

i take the arm into mocha, do a quick track, export as transform data to an AE null, create a solid, parent it to the track at the first frame, and create my initial shape, adjusting as i go.

the issue im having, is that when you add a mask to a solid it trims down to the size of that mask, so when the tracking data pulls the solid around the footage is hidden by the edge of the layer.

whats the way around this? what am i missing?

thanks

Return to posts index

Josh BrineRe: Using Masks and Tracking Data together without shortening the layer.
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:31:12 am

SOLVED:

i simply double click the square shape on the solid to create a mask around the edges and set it to none. it prevents the solid layer from shrinking down to the size of the smaller mask.

maybe there is a better way? this works ok i think

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Using Masks and Tracking Data together without shortening the layer.
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 3:46:32 pm

You should be tracking the arm in mocha and then export the spline as a mochaShape. Watch this tutorial to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Josh BrineRe: Using Masks and Tracking Data together without shortening the layer.
by on Sep 22, 2012 at 4:35:59 pm

I often use Mocha for my shape data, but this was a very basic loose garbage matte, also shape data can be annoying to get into an already trimmed composition, you have to, as far as im aware, create a new comp with the full footage, create your shape data, then trim it to the same in/out as your actual comp, then copy and paste the shape data back into your actual comp.

i thought to get around this, simply export a track then do the garbage matte inside of AE, woundnt be any use for articulate roto but a simple garbage matte was ok with this.

but overall its probably faster still to do it inside of mocha. just thought id try this out. that was when i came across the problem, but scaling up the layer and adding a mask around the edges worked fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]