ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Same MPG file on two machines opens and not.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Konstantin DavidenkoSame MPG file on two machines opens and not.
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 6:00:29 pm

Hello!

I have that kind of problem: i have some files, which can be normally opened from my old laptop, but, when i tried open them with new PC (with AE CS6) it trow error, that it can't be opened.
Why such thing can happened?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Same MPG file on two machines opens and not.
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:06:30 am

It may have to do with the codecs installed on your machine. There are many MPEG flavors and you may need to install a more extensive codec pack on your newer machine.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Konstantin DavidenkoRe: Same MPG file on two machines opens and not.
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 9:03:55 am

Thank you for your replay.

I think I installed some codec packs on my machine. Can you advise me "more extensive codec pack"? Or, maybe, some of them.... It would be great!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Same MPG file on two machines opens and not.
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 11:08:43 am

Stick with common CODECs - Xvid stuff aren't friendly with AE. You should let us know which CODECs are giving you issues.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:39:03 pm

I don't personally compress these videos. Here is some information about one of that kind of files:

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@High 1440
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Duration : 51mn 23s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 100 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 6 000 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.395
Stream size : 1.47 GiB (94%)

It's what you ask about? Or something else?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Same MPG file on two machines opens and not.
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 12:14:59 pm

http://codecguide.com/about_kl.htm

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:40:51 pm

I tried to install both "Mega" and "64-bit" packs, but still files in AE won't work... =(

Return to posts index

Thomas LeongRe: Same MPG file on two machines opens and not.
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:56:20 pm

The K-Lite Mega Pack also provides G-spot which will provide more info on the codec used in your media. If you can't find G-Spot in the Start Menu > Programs, then look for it in the K-Lite folder under C:Program Files or Program File (x86).

Once you know the codec used to encode your media, you can google for the codec.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2012 at 5:34:39 pm

I can't find any G-spot there, but there is "MediaInfo". It returns that:

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@High 1440
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Duration : 51mn 23s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 100 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 6 000 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.395
Stream size : 1.47 GiB (94%)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2012 at 5:41:49 pm

Did you restart your computer after installing the new CODECs? Further, the file is 52+ minutes which is kinda long for normal AE work. See if PPro or AME are able to ingest the file. If this is possible, either transcode the entire file to another CODEC (although storage requirements will be extremely high) or transcode just the part(s) that you need.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2012 at 5:46:50 pm

Ow... Thanks you! Yes, I restarted my PC few times. I've never done anything of what you told me to. I'll try to google how to do that.

Thanks you again!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2012 at 3:49:14 am

From what you have provided, the file seems like a normal MPEG-2 file of SD resolution. Since it is a new PC that won't open it, looks like Microsoft has not changed: Windows Media Player and/or A New PC Installation does not include a MEPG-2 codec. The end user must install a 3rd party MPEG-2 codec himself.

But I'm surprised that even after installation of K-Lite's Mega Pack you still cannot play the file. In K-Lite's Codec Tweak Tool, there are options to enable/disable codecs for various file-types. Perhaps you have not enabled the MPEG-2 file-type, or associated it with a codec.

If this (K-Lite) is too deep for you, then uninstall it. During uninstall, it will ask you whether you want to reset all options to default. Answer yes.

After that just get Quicktime or the Mainconcept codec. One of these will decode your file.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Same MPG file on two machines opens and not.
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 3:31:38 pm

[Thomas Leong] "The K-Lite Mega Pack also provides G-spot which will provide more info on the codec used in your media."

Oh, K-Lite! Now, there's a red flag! Many, many people have reported erratic behavior after installing K-Lite.

Furthermore, once installed, there's no way to remove it. You have to do a total clean install of all applications PLUS the operating system.

From all the posts and admonitions I've read, I would never think of installing K-Lite. It appears to be a very, very bad choice.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 21, 2012 at 4:51:42 pm

Sorry, but what you've heard about K-Lite is all bull...or from those who fear anything other than a branded name. The older version essentially uses the ffdshow codec, but the latest uses the LAV Splitter and LAV Video Decoder and LAV Audio Decoder.

I have personally used the included LAV codec and the tools provided by K-Lite to solve MediaLook logo problems surfacing on the output of a USD2,000+ software, caused by, of all things, a Euro 1,800 software...and both are USB-dongled in order to operate.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2012 at 3:23:54 pm

I don't understand one thing: if videos can be opened with players (WMP, VLC, etc), why they can't be opened with AE? Is there is any difference in codec settings, or what? =

Return to posts index

by on Sep 22, 2012 at 5:05:01 pm

Welcome to "Codec Hell"!!

From one layman to another, here's my best explanation -

Vlc uses the Libav source code published under the GNU Lesser General Public License - i.e. open source and generally free.

Not sure what WMP uses.

AE on the other hand is not a media player like the others. But its acceptance/non-acceptance of a file is no different from a media player: the codec must be "registered" with AE first. And in most cases, this means installed in the pc that AE is installed in, or rather installed in the places that AE looks into when a file is being ingested into AE. AFAIK, Quicktime and Mainconcept are 2 such codecs.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2012 at 6:26:39 am

[Konstantin Davidenko] " if videos can be opened with players (WMP, VLC, etc), why they can't be opened with AE?"

It's very easy to playback video. What AE does or allows you to do is mind boggling. Excluding still imagery, image sequences and internally created elements; video CODECs form the basic components that AE works with.

Today, we are arguably into the 4th generation of video CODECs. The mechanics of CODECs are such that how the files are compressed and read or decompressed vary from one CODEC to another. Not all CODECs are ideal for editing or compositing and some are even specialized for delivery of high-quality, compressed digital video. For an application such as AE, specialized or new CODECs have to be tested to ensure that they are workable/doable within AE's workspace which is a lot more complex than a media player's workspace which often only requires playback and transcoding capability.

If you want to work with a professional application such as AE then it is important that you stick to professionally accepted CODECs. Not only do they ensure that you will be able to work with them in AE but oftentimes, they will help to ensure better quality imagery for your output - lots of caveats there but stick with what the pros use/do and you will have a better user-experience with pro apps.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]