ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Correct render settings?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther CasasCorrect render settings?
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 3:31:36 pm

Hello everybody!

I am working in AE CS5 and like to know if I have the correct settings for a film. We are exporting Apple ProRes422, and in the render window
I have these settings:

Format quicktime Apple ProRes 422

video output Channel: RGB

Depth: millions of colors or trillions? (I am working with raw files .cr2 but if I choose trillions AE tellns me "the output color depth exceeds project color depth" WHY?)

color: premultiplied matted or straight unmatted?

AE is suggesting me to export an alpha channel if I use straight (unmatted), but I can't as I am exporting appleprores422 and there is no option to export both with this format.So I am assuming that these setting are the ones I should be using?:

Quicktime AppleproRes422
RGB
Millions of colors
Premultiplied (matted)

This film will be projected on theaters, so we are exporting 2k size and need to have the best quality picture we can possibly have.

Thanks to all!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Correct render settings?
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 5:57:59 pm

If you are projecting this in a movie theater, you may want to talk to the folks that run the projection system and ask them what kind of files they use. JPEG2000 could be one, although there are quite a few others used.
As far as why AE tells you that trillions excedes the current color space, that is most likely because you are working in a 8bit project. Switch to 16 or 32 bit to take advantage of all color info in your files.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Esther CasasRe: Correct render settings?
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 6:12:26 pm

Thanks Ted!
Let me ask you then, how do i switch all my AE files from 8 to 16 or 32 bit?
Also, In the render window, in "color managment" you can also choose preserve RBG, should I or it doesn't really matter as I am rendering RGB?
If not, then "convert to linear light" on or off? not sure if it is necessary if is not a 32 bit file?
Thanks again!
E

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Correct render settings?
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:04:45 am

It seems to me that you may need a bit more information. In order to better understand the issues I highly recommend you spend some time researching this. Here are some helpful links:

http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Assigning-colour-profile/1

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS61A9D13D-919A-4010-A3A2...

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/After_Effects_32-bit_Workflow_In-Depth/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Esther CasasRe: Correct render settings?
by on Sep 20, 2012 at 6:00:09 pm

thank you so much Ted, this was a very helpful video! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]