ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Camera problem making my hair turn grey.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
xavier corralAfter Effects Camera problem making my hair turn grey.
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 1:49:26 pm

Hey guys. So I'm working on a project using particular and some audio keyframes to make an interactive wave form type deal:

What I want to do is swing the camera around this wave form. What I am doing is making some camera keyframes so that it swings around on beat.

So I create the first two keyframes and it works great:
This:

Swings over to this:

But then when I move up the timeline to do my next camera move, I am unable to move the camera. I used the camera orbit tool to move the camera but nothing happens. The camera stays in its current position. The values change, a keyframe is created, but the camera remains in its position even when pre-rendered. The most annoying thing is that if I change resolutions in the playback window, the camera will have moved, however when I ram preview it, the camera will once again ignore any keyframes aside from the first two. So naturally I began purging asssets, restarting the computer, clearing the cache and eventually the next set of keyframes worked. But then when I go to set more keyframes it still does not work!

I'm fairly certain that this is some sort of bug. I have to wonder if CS5 will do the same thing but right now CS5 is not working! Could this be a problem with the fabled "global Cache?" Are there any workarounds you might suggest?

Here are some specs for y'all: Using CS6 on a Mac Pro: mid 2010. 3.33 GHz 6-Core Xeon. 8 gigs of ram. ATI Radeon 5770. Cache is set up on an internal stripe raid.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Camera problem making my hair turn grey.
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 2:56:56 pm

You'd be better off creating a null object at the center of the intended camera rotation, then rotating the null. You can control camera motion better that way.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sam FreemanRe: After Effects Camera problem making my hair turn grey.
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 3:09:11 pm

Try turning off the Global Cache and seeing if that helps - I've had all sorts of problems with the Global cache holding onto frames that don't exist anymore. It's great when it works, which is most of the time - but sometimes it fails. Also make sure you're up to date in your CS6 version as I found some of the effects showed weirdness when I first installed CS6. An update helped hugely with this.

Return to posts index

xavier corralRe: After Effects Camera problem making my hair turn grey.
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 4:29:24 pm

I would love to update but unfortunately the schools IT department control all of that. I am unable to re install or update until they decide to answer my calls :/ Freelance sounds better every day! lol

Mr. Dave, would I parent the objects to the null and spin the null? or parent the camera's focal point to it instead?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Camera problem making my hair turn grey.
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 5:05:48 pm

You parent the CAMERA -- not the point of interest -- to the null. And turn off the point of interest. Let the null do the work for the camera.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 19, 2012 at 5:08:55 pm

So I decided to parent the camera to a null and use its Z rotation for the camera. I first tested this out with a seperate AE file using only a square and it worked just fine. However When I do this in my normal comp, the behaviour remains the same. You can see my keyframes here:

and as you can see despite the Z being at a different value, the null object is still just acting stupid and staring right at me:

How is it that this behavior affects even the null object? could this be a problem with particular? Also, I have disabled layer cache and that has not had any effect.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 19, 2012 at 5:12:43 pm

I'd also like to add that despite disabling layer cache, when I make a change to the null object keyframes the render bar remains green and the whole thing hangs on to the old keyframes that dont exist anymore.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]