ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Flowing ribbons/light streaks.....but not like Kramers! ;o)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick tallentsFlowing ribbons/light streaks.....but not like Kramers! ;o)
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 5:50:18 pm

I need to create an image like this but animated so it flows, similar to trapcode mir, but streaky like particular. I cant seem to get the right look with either and wondered if anyone could offer some input.
As a base i started with the video co-pilot tutorials but still not quite there.
Its not so much the shape of the trails, its the look, randomness & streakiness/wispiness that I am struggling with!

Can anyone offer some tips and tricks of how they might go about this?

Thanks in advance, examples below

This is what im trying to create

This is where i have got to so far with particular

"Life's a progress bar"

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Flowing ribbons/light streaks.....but not like Kramers! ;o)
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 6:10:51 pm

OK, so in no particular order, I'd try playing with Motion Blur, and/or Vector Blur as that gives some nice effects. You could add a wiggle expression to the emission settings to make the lines a bit patchier. To make things wispier, I think maybe you need to use smaller particles, but more of them (which will slow render times), or try using a streaklet to get multiple trails per particle. In the same vein, you could also try dropping the opacity of the particles, but increase the number of them so that the transfer mode helps build up the brightness progressively, so it would look like many filaments rather than one big ribbon. Oh, and I wonder whether your example uses the shading/shadowlet options to give the impression of shadows in the ribbons.

Hope some of that helps!

Matthew Keane

Freelancer based in Paris, France
- Motion Graphics, Video Editing & Effects, Watchout Programming & Live Operation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved