ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Higher quality proxies

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe GosselinHigher quality proxies
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 3:59:59 pm

Hi all,

For the first time I am toying around with proxies. As a starting point I watched Andrew Kramer tutorial. I had an initial problem which I kinda resolved.

Instead of creating a proxy clicking a "create proxy then Movie" would create a composition and add the clip to the render queue. I can then render and set the proxy to that file. It's not such a BIG deal but my project has 130 clips so I will have to set them all manually. In Andrew's tutorial all was automated, so I am a bit baffled as to why this is happening.

Now that I've created the proxy, using Motion jpeg as Andrew suggested, I find myself facing another problem, the proxy is a LOT brighter :

With Proxy

No Proxy

Now I don't really understand why since when I watched Andrew's tutorial the before/after using change the quality but not the brightness.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Higher quality proxies
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 5:52:04 pm

With any compression you loose information, so you will loose some of the color info. The shots are not that different for editing or graphics work. If you want to color grade or work on some visual effects you should work on the best quality of material you have anyway.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Philippe GosselinRe: Higher quality proxies
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 8:56:57 pm

Thanks Ted,

I mainly wanted proxy for color correction and the brightness kinda defeat the purpose. I guess you are right if I am to CC I need full on quality otherwise it's just not as accurate.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Higher quality proxies
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 1:22:54 pm

Looks like Ted's sorted your main issue but if you want an automated/batch mechanism to create proxies then here's your answer -

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved