ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Practices When Working Between After Effects and Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes BrowningBest Practices When Working Between After Effects and Premiere
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 1:25:41 pm

I'd like to hone my media management when it comes to working with After Effects files, especially as it relates to Premiere. Is there a set of best practices someone can recommend when working between these two programs? Here's a few issues I'm running in to...

If I send a long clip from premiere into After Effects I have trouble finding the best way to "package" the linked files in a way that doesn't result in enormous amounts of file storage. For example, if I send a short clip from the Premiere timeline that links to a larger file (ie. an hour-long interview), After Effects "collect files" feature wants to collect the entire file, rather than just the 30 seconds I used.

If I'm working with an After Effects file in the Premiere timeline, what's the best way to make sure the Project Manager's feature of creating a trimmed project doesn't result in lost data/effects? Is there a way to "embed" the After Effects work in the project?

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Best Practices When Working Between After Effects and Premiere
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 1:46:56 pm

Not sure if this will work but....in Premiere try creating a subclip of the media you have determined you want to send to AE as a dynamical link.

Then try the collect process in AE and see if that does the trick.

The only other thing I can think of is reinjesting just the length of clip you need (with handles). That would definitely solve your problem.

A thought. Maybe AE will collect that hour long clip just once as the source for all those shorter versions of it you send to AE.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Wes BrowningRe: Best Practices When Working Between After Effects and Premiere
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 1:59:42 pm

This sounds like a workable solution for certain scenarios. What I enjoy most about premiere is the "replace with after effects composition" option, which allows me to work quickly within the both programs and not spend a lot of time managing media, creating subclips, exporting, etc. I usually work with sequences less than 10 minutes, so even if these grow to huge sizes, that's okay. I'm just wondering if there's a way to neatly cleanup a project that includes smaller trimmed files, etc. This might just be a dream option, and I just need to adopt a more thoughtful workflow (such as using your subclip idea).

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Best Practices When Working Between After Effects and Premiere
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 3:41:40 pm

I am not aware of one.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index