ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Easy way to reveal a text list?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen PickeringEasy way to reveal a text list?
by on Sep 16, 2012 at 2:41:01 am

Hi there,

I'm working on a project with several lists which need to be revealed at different times. Nothing fancy, even just a dissolve is ok. I've so far just made multiple text layers in the comp and moved them in the composition timeline to the corresponding time. This is ok, but having the lists in different layers makes for a hassle if I need to change font sides, effects or list order.

Is there a faster way? A script maybe which I could move keyframes to correspond with each different line of text within ONE text layer?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Easy way to reveal a text list?
by on Sep 16, 2012 at 5:56:44 am

Look up "text animators" in the help and online.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Easy way to reveal a text list?
by on Sep 16, 2012 at 9:41:57 am

AE has a bunch of preset animations that give you the option to adjust the starting and ending point by moving the keyframes of the Range. There are presets for Text Animate In and Animate Out. It's a quick drag and drop and then just sliding the keyframes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Easy way to reveal a text list?
by on Sep 16, 2012 at 6:15:55 pm

As you point out, there are a lot of ways to reveal text. And for each kind of reveal, there is a different way to do it in AE; it all depends on precisely what you're doing or the look you want to achieve.

Without knowing that key bit of information, it's sort of difficult to suggest effective techniques.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen PickeringRe: Easy way to reveal a text list?
by on Sep 19, 2012 at 3:18:15 pm

Thank you all for your ideas. I knew about the animation presets, but for some reason didn't think about modifying them. I ended up using the "fade up lines" preset. It simply fades each line using only 2 key frames (which does not allow me to "cue" the individual lines. However I was able to simply add some additional key frames in the "Range Selector" properties of the effect and accomplished exactly what I needed.

Thank you for putting me in the right direction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved