ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

timing .ai layers to after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kristen garciatiming .ai layers to after effects
by on Sep 14, 2012 at 7:23:57 pm

I have two things that I want to put into an after effect timeline: my .ai layers and a video clip.

I import the .ai file and choose import as: Composition - retain layer sizes. I also import the video. I add them both to the composition. The video extends because it is a few seconds long but the layers are only a second. I don't know how to expand the layers to match the length of the video. Forgive me if this is super easy but I googled this and couldn't come up with the answer so maybe someone here can help.

I am very very new to after effects... only have just begun so please be kind...

Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: timing .ai layers to after effects
by on Sep 14, 2012 at 7:39:41 pm

Try reading this.

Return to posts index

kristen garciaRe: timing .ai layers to after effects
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 1:10:21 pm

I read the above post: timing .ai layers to after effects but still have been unsuccessful. The ai layers are only 2 seconds in duration and I need them longer because they are going to be the background of my video which is 39.15 seconds long. I don't know what else to do. I have tried changing the composition duration before importing the ai layers (video not imported yet). I have tried selecting the layers and going to time>time stretch and then setting the duration (leaving it to stretch out after the In-point by having "layer in-point" selected)... but nothing works... the first method (changing the composition duration) did nothing and left the layers at 2 seconds. The second method(time stretching) made the duration 6:18... I keep trying to reset it to the duration that I want but it won't do it... it stays stuck at this time. I am confused and don't know how to get my ai layers to be the length of the video so that it can be the background. Please help!!

Return to posts index

kristen garciaRe: timing .ai layers to after effects
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 2:33:37 pm

Ok, I figured it out.. in case anyone needs the answer after reading this... the problem was that when I went to import the file. I had the checkbox "Illustrator/pdf/eps sequence" checked... when I unchecked this it allowed the layers to be imported to the time that I had preselected in my import preferences. Yay!

Return to posts index

Synnøve LudvigsenRe: timing .ai layers to after effects
by on Dec 30, 2015 at 10:47:49 am

I made the same mistake, and kept it for a number of reasons.
Didn't realize the problem of length until after I had rigged, so to avoid reimporting I interpreted the layer to be 0.01 frames pr second.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved