ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to sell a good composite

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh BrineHow to sell a good composite
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 3:20:06 pm

I know/think alot of what makes a good composite comes on set with lighting etc.

i have a whole load of compositing to do, and im not very experienced.

what steps/workflow do you all make when trying to match elements?

for example i have a woman stood next to a GS, and im trying to turn it into a cityscape condo window. she was out of focus, so the key is crappy, so most of it im rotoing in mocha.

but how do i sell the composite? she was not lit in any particular way that suggests she is next to a city window. so how do i add/remove/adjust/fake elements to bring the two together.

i know this is experience, time, experimenting etc. im not looking for solid answers, just some ideas :)

hope someone helps out.

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: How to sell a good composite
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 3:56:28 pm

You reshoot. I'm not being facetious.

You, or your producer most likely, have to face a choice: Do you 1) reshoot, 2) do you composite the scene in a way that matches the existing footage (lit room with flat lighting, out of focus background) or 3) do you composite to your ideal background knowing it doesn't match.

Beyond that, it's foundational:
1) Edge control and blending
2) Color correction
3) Motion tracking

No amount of color correction can change the lighting on a 2d element. What increases the problem is that, as humans, we've evolved a very fine sense for light direction, perspective, and so on. is a good book, I don't know if there is a CS6 edition out yet.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved