ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Timing video without moving keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karl LidhTiming video without moving keyframes
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 1:29:40 pm

Basically I've animated alot placeholders swooping forth from behind the camera to fill up the scene. The idea was then to replace all of them with the same footage but displacing the timecode. Since Im using soundbites from the video timing is crucial, however, changing in or out points in the layer viewer also displaces the keyframes.

Is there a way around this problem? Would you do something different from the get go?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Timing video without moving keyframes
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 3:20:42 pm

you could probably enable time remapping and slide the time remapping keyframe around to get the sound bites you want...

but i think i'd edit the clip into individual soundbites and then replace the placeholders with the separated soundbites. if they are flying in at the same rate, then the leader needed for each soundbite would be about the same, so i think it would work out fairly smoothly...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Robert HeadrickRe: Timing video without moving keyframes
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 5:10:00 pm

Instead of replacing the placeholders with footage directly, precompose your footage and replace the placeholders with those precomps. Then you can do your retiming, editing, etc within the precomp without messing with any of the motion keyframes that are happening in your main comp. You can use time-remapping on the precomp, or an easier method (if I'm understanding correctly what you're trying to do) would just be finding the point on the timeline where you want the sound byte to start, going into the precomp at that point, and adjusting your clip so that's where it starts.

Essentially what you need to be doing is to separate the motion keyframes from what you're doing with timecode and edits to your footage. Precomping creates that separation for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved