ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem when pasting a Mocha track to a Null in After effects. Null separates from anchor point.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego BrunoProblem when pasting a Mocha track to a Null in After effects. Null separates from anchor point.
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 2:09:29 am

Hi, I'm having a seemingly small but brain numming problem when copying my Mocha track (possition, anchor point, scale, etc...) onto a Null object in After Effects Cs6. The Null gets separated from its anchor point and ends up far away from it and the track. The Anchor point of the Null remains in the track.
Anything I pare to the Null ends up flying with the null and away from the track and anchor point.
This doesn't seem to happen when I copy copy the track as Corner Pin info. The null remains with the track, and the corner pins far away.

I would really appreaicate some help I've been stuck in a project for a couple of days now and I'm loosing hair. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Problem when pasting a Mocha track to a Null in After effects. Null separates from anchor point.
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 3:51:18 am

When you are doing a track (as opposed to a stabilize or corner pin). The only info you need after pasting your Transform data to the Null is POSITION, SCALE and ROTATION.Sometimes just POSITION will work. You can turn off the keyframes for ANCHOR POINT.

To learn all the nuances of using mocha I suggest this.

http://www.curiousturtle.com/en/component/content/article/47-products/180-o...

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Diego BrunoRe: Problem when pasting a Mocha track to a Null in After effects. Null separates from anchor point.
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 4:06:35 am

Hi, thanks for your reply. I know, I usually delete the anchor point keyframes as soon as I paste the track to the null. But what is happening lately is that AS SOON AS I PASTE the track to the null, the Null gets separated from the track and anchor point, and even if I delete the anchor point key frames it stays there.

As I understand it it should work this way: I create a Null, it appears in the middle of the scene, I paste the Mocha track, the Null gets pegged to the item I tracked in mocha. But lately, as soon as I paste, the Null goes to a far away position and only the anchor point stay in the track. Is as if by default it was telling the anchor point to separate from the Null.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Problem when pasting a Mocha track to a Null in After effects. Null separates from anchor point.
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 10:48:24 pm

It sounds like you're doing a few things wrong.

[Diego Bruno] " when copying my Mocha track (possition, anchor point, scale, etc...) onto a Null object in After Effects Cs6. The Null gets separated from its anchor point and ends up far away from it and the track. The Anchor point of the Null remains in the track. Anything I pare to the Null ends up flying with the null"

Hopefully the following bits of info will be helpful.

There are four thingies that you can get out from mocha into AE -
1) Transform Data
2) Corner Pin with Motion Blur support
3) Corner Pin without Motion Blur support
4) Shape Data

When transferring Transform Data into an AE Null Layer, you absolutely have to remove the keyframes for Anchor Point. Without this deletion, your tracking data will not stick to its intended location.

Further, you will want to Reset the Null Layer's Anchor Point. This will set its value to [0,0]. While this step isn't necessary to obtain consistent tracking results between mocha and AE, it does make working in AE intuitive as this step ensures that the Null Layer is located at exactly the same spot where you placed mocha's Surface Area (at the center of the Surface Area, to be precise).

[Diego Bruno] "This doesn't seem to happen when I copy copy the track as Corner Pin info. The null remains with the track, and the corner pins far away. "

You should not be transferring Corner Pin data from mocha onto a Null Layer in AE. If you have seen one or more tutorials where the tutor does this then please stop watching tutorials from said tutor.

Ideally, you will paste Corner Pin tracking data onto a layer of the same dimensions as the tracking footage. I should add that there is a strong case to use mocha's Align Surface feature should retention of the aspect ratio of the insert object be a strong requirement in the final composite.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Diego BrunoRe: Problem when pasting a Mocha track to a Null in After effects. Null separates from anchor point.
by on Sep 14, 2012 at 11:38:27 am

Thanks, this was of great help. Yes, I was misguided about how to use certain features.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Problem when pasting a Mocha track to a Null in After effects. Null separates from anchor point.
by on Sep 15, 2012 at 11:22:09 am

Hi Diego, I'm glad things are working for you. Let us know if you have other Qs.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Rob TylerRe: Problem when pasting a Mocha track to a Null in After effects. Null separates from anchor point.
by on Jun 26, 2014 at 8:26:36 pm

I know this is an old post but hopefully you will see it!

You mentioned that pasting the tracking data on to the null and deleting the anchor point data will place the null in the centre of the selected tracking area. I get this and it works fine for me. However do you know if its possible to change where the null attaches itself? For example...

I have tracked the side of a box moving across the scene. It has tracked perfectly but I want to attach an object to the top of the tracked square rather than the centre of it. Does that make sense?

I know I can just adjust the anchor point of the object to sit on the top of the box but that leads to problems as the box travels.

Im not sure if i have made that very clear!

Thanks! :P

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Problem when pasting a Mocha track to a Null in After effects. Null separates from anchor point.
by on Jun 27, 2014 at 6:26:33 pm

This will depend on what you are tracking and how you are exporting.

When you export a transform, scale, position from mocha to AE, you will get the center of the mocha surface.

If you export corner pin out of mocha, you will get all 4 surface corners as animated corner pins.

It sounds like you want to get one corner to drive your null? You could either expression link a corner pin keyframe OR you could also scale and position your surface in mocha very small around the area that you want to export.

There are multiple ways to achieve what you want. Another is simply creating a 2nd null to offset.

Best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

Sam RoeRe: Problem when pasting a Mocha track to a Null in After effects. Null separates from anchor point.
by on May 15, 2013 at 4:24:39 pm

When pasting from Mocha to AE I always just make two Nulls, paste on one, copy everything but the Anchor and paste on the second one. Then you can delete the first Null. Not sure if it's the fastest but seems quicker than typing in the zero for the anchor to me

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]