ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

RAM Preview and Render have CRAZY artifacts - CS3

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim AveryRAM Preview and Render have CRAZY artifacts - CS3
by on Sep 12, 2012 at 9:54:59 pm

I am trying to composite several render passes (Ambient occlusion, Diffuse, and shadow) into after effects CS3. All footage was created in AE CS3 and is 1280 x 720, 29.97, H.264 .mp4

PROBLEM: Whenever I render or RAM preview the composite, I get serious artifacting. The different render passes look fine (i.e. No artifacting on original footage). And when I put the CTI over each frame of the composite in AE, it looks fine. It's only when I try to render or preview the composite is when I get the artifacting.

Image of artifacting:

What it's supposed to look like:

NOTE (Additional problem?): I can only ram preview the composite once, after that I get the "Need 2 frames to preview" error when trying to RAM preview. No matter what I do (comp restart, AE restart, purge, and cache clean), I still can only preview once, then get the error.

Project Settings and attempted solutions:
OpenGL is off (I can't turn it on)
Adaptive resolution is on
Multiprocessing is off
Prevent DLL fragmentation is on
Disk Cache is enabled (2 GB)
Max memory usage = 90% of 2 GB
Max RAM cache size = 30% (keep getting "not enough memory" error without these low settings)
I also tried different render settings as well. But nothing seems to work.

Windows 7, 32 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz
ATI FirePro V3800 (FireGL)

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Tim

EDIT: I have been using this set up for several years and this has never happened before. Although this is the first time I'm trying to composite different render passes. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Tim AveryRe: RAM Preview and Render have CRAZY artifacts - CS3
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 2:42:34 pm

Found the solution.

--> Don't render in a compressed format (i.e. MP4) if you are going to composite them later <--

There is information lost when trying to re-render a compressed format and AE freaks out (artifacting, RAM preview errors, etc). At least that is what I gather from other topics.

I'm trying lossless right now. More details to come.

Hope that helped.

- Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved