ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS6 user reporting slow render times, reboot fixes problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian BrunningAfter Effects CS6 user reporting slow render times, reboot fixes problem
by on Sep 12, 2012 at 6:06:40 pm

I have an artist running AE CS6 on a new dual 12-core Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM. She is complaining that she needs more RAM to get rid of some problems with her computer rendering & RAM Previewing and slowing down constantly. I've set AE to only use 6 CPUs with Multiprocessing and leaving 4GB of RAM for other apps.

She claims it's all because she needs 32GB of RAM but I'm seeing more and more similar problems where a reboot fixes the problem and the renders/RAM Previews run quickly again.

Anyone having similar problems and know a resolution?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: After Effects CS6 user reporting slow render times, reboot fixes problem
by on Sep 12, 2012 at 7:05:11 pm

I've experienced issues like this for RAM intensive renders. I'd suggest a few potential solutions, a combination of these might help:

1. Reduce the number of processors available to AE.

2. Increase the available space on your system drive.

3. Buy more RAM.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Brian BrunningRe: After Effects CS6 user reporting slow render times, reboot fixes problem
by on Sep 12, 2012 at 9:01:36 pm

There's enough space on the system and we have limited the processors. The main culprit seems to be Keylight, it has major memory leak issues. I was unaware she was using that. Anyone know a fix for the keylight mem leaks?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: After Effects CS6 user reporting slow render times, reboot fixes problem
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 8:07:16 am

I haven't experienced issues with keylight personally.

If you disable multiprocessing and make sure that at least 32 GB is available on the system drive, does that help the issue?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: After Effects CS6 user reporting slow render times, reboot fixes problem
by on Sep 12, 2012 at 7:07:47 pm

Hi Bryan -

I'm a PC guy, but I think you might find the contents of this page most enlightening - at least they should lead you to a solution:

http://macperformanceguide.com/Optimizing-AfterEffects.html

While 32GB of RAM should most certainly improve your speed, the fact that a reboot speeds things up leads me to believe there's something else going on. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]