ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

setting the timing for an effect to start

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Len Wasson
setting the timing for an effect to start
on Sep 10, 2012 at 8:46:10 am

this is in particular to adding the Shatter effect right now but I had the same issue a few weeks ago.

it seems when one wants to implement an effect, the effect starts immediately and cannot be turned on or off - is that correct?

for now, I'd just like to know about the Shatter effect if it's too complicated for others, that is, there's no one set answer.

ok, so I have an image, not text, that I want to have on screen for several seconds, then add the shatter to it. Yes, I've duped the layer and adjusted for one starting the other ending - except now I want to change the camera in the layer that's to be shattered and having difficulty getting the original image in the same position.

I find it difficult to believe that one cannot start and stop an effect within a layer? can someone help me with this please?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: setting the timing for an effect to start
on Sep 10, 2012 at 11:52:18 am

Animate the Radius property found in the Force 1 section, starting a value of zero and then dialing up the value when you want the shatter to occur.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Len Wasson
on Sep 10, 2012 at 8:17:18 pm

thanks - I had tried setting the timing for the render clock - thinking well, that would stop the render until asked for, which to me makes sense especially since it's up at the top of the list.

that's the problem w/so many of the effects, there are so many options available how is one supposed to know which specifically will turn on/off the effect itself?

shatter espeically has a huge number of key frame options.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 10, 2012 at 11:53:00 am

The reason the shatter effect occurs when you apply the effect is that "Force 1"(the object that explodes your layer) is directly in the layer. If you turn on wireframe+forces it's the big blue ball. If you apply a camera to your comp and change the shatter effects "camera position" to "Comp Camera" you will be able to rotate around and see the force even more clearly.

To have more control over your shatter, twirl down Force 1(there are 2 forces, in the effect for even more fun) and animate the depth property(they should just change this to the Z position), keyframe moving forward to back and you can explode your layer whenever you want. You can also change how strength of the explosion here and the size of the force exploding the layer.

For more about shatter see this TUTORIAL

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Len Wasson
on Sep 10, 2012 at 8:20:32 pm

thanks for all the details even tho I already knew about them as well as having watched several tutorials - they just didn't address the bit about how to start the shatter and effectively controlling this aspect of the effect.

see my response above.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 11, 2012 at 2:05:18 am

As far as getting them both to respond to a camera, don't use the shatter camera system. Create a camera for the composition and change Shatter -> Camera System from "Camera Position" to "Comp Camera". Enable 3D for the Non-shatter layer. They should match perfectly.

Course I don't see why you need to do this over 2 layers, but to each his own.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Len Wasson
on Sep 11, 2012 at 6:32:40 am

maybe you misread my initial post ?

the problem has been resolved with the first reply; I have now finished the clip and managed it with only the one layer.

additionally, I used the camera in the shatter effects tab and it worked quite well, thank you very much.

have since sent everything off to the director.

thanks so much for all the info!

cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]