ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Attaching a face to a slow pan of a poster

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Cross
Attaching a face to a slow pan of a poster
on Sep 10, 2012 at 2:16:39 am

For a little fun and some practice with after affects, i am trying to superimpose a face on old picture of a climber who happens to be one of his heroes...

I have two video clips. One is of the face of the subject. I got him to look into my camera with a deadpan expression... at the end of the clip he blinks.

The other is a handheld pan of a giant poster of well known climber.

This is my first time using rotobrush and motion tracking.

Ive rotobrushed the face of the subject (so I have just his face) and then Ive rotobrushed out the face of the climber with the intent of superimposing the video of the face of my subject on the body of the climber.

However, I am having some problems with motion tracking. Because the subjects in both videos are moving, I am having trouble attaching the face of the subject to the body of the climber in the poster...

Ive used motion tracking to create a motion path for the face of my subject and targeted the path to a null object. Ive done the same with the body of the climber in the poster - also targeting the motion to a null object. Is this the right way to do it?

Return to posts index

chris brett
Re: Attaching a face to a slow pan of a poster
on Sep 10, 2012 at 8:33:28 am

Hi Andrew

-- heres a few things to consider...

( Ive rotobrushed the face of the subject (so I have just his face) and then Ive rotobrushed out the face of the climber )

No need to roto out the face of the climber unless you are going to patch some background over it to remove it before applying new face --- which in some cases is useful as there is more scope

( I am having some problems with motion tracking. Because the subjects in both videos are moving, )

it sounds like you are having problems because the movement of the 2 shots is different ... to a certain extent they have to match and the nearer the better.
However if they roughly match but not quite good enough it might work better if you take a still of the new face just before ho blinks - patch that on forst then just patch on the few frames where he blinks as another layer.
In fact it will probably be better to do this anyway as the poster is effectively a 'still'.
In fact I might be tempted to get a still from the background ( poster ) and a still of the new face into PS and get them to work there first as a singlr frame comp then it should be easy.......

( Ive used motion tracking to create a motion path for the face of my subject and targeted the path to a null object. Ive done the same with the body of the climber in the poster - also targeting the motion to a null object. Is this the right way to do it? )

Newish to Ae and not done this one myself but pretty sure the way to do it is .... track the poster / apply data to null / then pick-whip new face to null

Anyway theres loads of good tutorials around that can tell you much better than I .. checkout Video-copilot / Video 2 Brain / and Andrew Devis on the Creative Cow site

............ it should be fairly easy when you know how

Chris Brett /// uk

==========================

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]