ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mocha Shape Plugin for Cs6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh BrineMocha Shape Plugin for Cs6
by on Sep 10, 2012 at 12:49:56 am

Ok, im very familiar with the workflow of Mocha to AE using 5.5

im currently still using the same copy paste workflow in cs6.

however i have noticed the mocha shape plugin in the effects tab, applied it, doesnt seem to do much, was hoping to get some light shed on this.

also. im having a slight workflow challenge.

Im working on a short, i have a travel drive with the editors latest cut and all the footage.

i open premier, find a file i want to work on, right click replace with AE comp, then AE opens, cut to the right length.

i choose animation, track with mocha, and begin creating some roto.

now i export shape, paste it onto a solid. and it starts from the beggining of the source footage, not the section im actually working on.

im sure i can just select the clip inside of mocha and trim it to the correct frames, but its good security to have those frames either side incase i need to extend the project i dont want to have to start from scratch. so im looking for a way to paste my shapes so that they start when the AE comp does. at the moment i paste them onto a solid, then have to drag and extend the solid layer for ages until i get the first key frame, then i line it up and im good to go. but when i want to add a new shape, its now starting from the beggining again, whilst my already pasted shapes are set up. this is a bit tedious when i want to check my shapes as i work.

1. can i extend a clip inside of MOCHA once ive said from frame x to x in the initial set up?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Mocha Shape Plugin for Cs6
by on Sep 10, 2012 at 1:41:17 pm

There are 3 ways to paste mocha Shape data into AE AFTER you've copied the mocha shape to the clipboard -

1) CTRL + V (the shape data pastes itself as an AE effect mocha Shape)
2) Apply Effect>Matte>mocha Shape then CTRL+V (similar results as (1)
3) Edit>Paste mocha Mask (creates AE mask)

1 and 2 are the same except that method 1 saves you from having to apply the mocha Shape effect.

When applying mocha Shape data into AE it pastes data from the in point of the clip in mocha and not like tracking data which pastes its tracking data from in point of the layer in mocha - note the difference between CLIP and Layer.

TO get rid of unwanted KFs, ensure that you can see the KFs and right-click to select "Select Previous KFs" or "Select Following KFs".

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Josh BrineRe: Mocha Shape Plugin for Cs6
by on Sep 10, 2012 at 2:05:43 pm

Thanks for the info. helps to clear things up

however i still cant see how i can line up my shape data with my already 'clipped' footage in after effects other then drag it. i can select before or after KF's but i can only delete the correct ones once ive dragged it into place right?

i guess i could render out the file but it kinda defeats the purpose of 'track in mocha'

sorry if im missing something,

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Mocha Shape Plugin for Cs6
by on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:40:54 pm

Your original clip should be in your Project Panel. Drop it onto the Create New Comp Icon at the bottom of the said panel. Create a solid and paste the mochaAE shape data onto the solid. From here you can nest this comp into the comp with the shortened clip - use the timecode values to assist you in trimming the required in/out points.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 10, 2012 at 5:59:38 pm

Yeah i thought that was gunna be the only way.

thanks for the advice. i think its probably easier and less hassle to drag the footage then sync them. still it would be nice to have the option to start the shapedata from an in point.

alas, you cant have everything.

thanks mate. much aapprecieted

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 10:00:05 pm

just thought id let you know that you were right :)

its faster to drag the footage into a new comp, create a new solid, past the info onto that solid, go to the first keyframe of the shape data on the solid, trim the comp, then copy the now trimmed version back into my original comp.

ta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]