ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Converting Footage to HD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michelle EvansConverting Footage to HD
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 1:38:50 pm

Good Day, I have some footage shot on a Panasonic Lumix for a high school project but it has been shot in "FSH" (????) in error instead of in HD. I am using AE CS3, and cannot edit the FSH files. Is there any way to convert these files to HD?. I am new at this so any help you can give me that is written in non computer lingo would be sincerely appreciated.

Many thanks
Michelle Evans

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Converting Footage to HD
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 2:15:24 pm

It seems those are the raw files from the camera. I ran across a converter online for 35 bucks, but if you have access to the camera you should be able to hook it up and get it to export a format you can use easier.

BTW, After Effects is generally used for motion graphics, editing isn't it's strong point. If you can you will be much better off editing in Premiere.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Michelle EvansRe: Converting Footage to HD
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 2:44:16 pm

Hi there John, many thanks for your prompt reply, I have looked at the properties for the files and they have the extension (.MTS) preceeded by the letters AVCHD Video??? I was advised to use the aftereffects program but see that I have the Premier Pro in the CS3 Master Collection, should I use that instead? All I really need to do is take a series of different files and put them all together as a short clip for examination purposes. so if I have 5 files with the one student in them then I need to put them all to one file..?? If that makes sense? I really am very new to this and so appreciate your assistance.

regds

Michelle Evans

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Converting Footage to HD
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 3:18:05 pm

From my reading newer editions of Adobe can read the .mts format, but notCS3. Since you are using CS3, I'm going to guess you don't have a 64 bit system, if you do though, you could download a free copy of CS6 and just work with that though(trial basis)---though I can't say with 100% surety that AVCHD will play in the trial mode.

Knowing that the format is .mts(not one I use, so I'm not very familiar) I did a google search for AVCHD.MTS convert and found some free shareware programs that you could try. You could do your own search or here is one you might TRY.

If you are just stringing together 5 clips, sure AE's fine, but once you start to actually have to edit, you want to use an editing program and it's a pain to edit in AE... it's just not designed for editing.

Hope this helps out and good luck on your project...guess I was lucky, when I was a student we just had tape and it was always in one format---tape.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Michelle EvansRe: Converting Footage to HD
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 3:35:09 pm

You're telling me!!! Life was alot easier when we were young and there was less... I teach at a private school and we have been filming students for PhysEd for the past couple of years and we have always got a "professional" to edit the footage - at a huge cost per student so we bought a camera that does both in the hope that we can try cut costs a little - As I am the head of the art dept they gave me the files and said please fix these!!! YIKES! anyway having your help I am sure I can try bumble my way through. If I can call on you every 2 minutes I am sure I will make some headway. It's getting late this side so I will give what you said a try tomorrow.

Once again, thank you so much for your assistance - you are a star.

best regds

Michelle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]