ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Raytracing 3D shapes from Illustrator file ends up having no fill

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Morris
Raytracing 3D shapes from Illustrator file ends up having no fill
on Sep 9, 2012 at 5:33:39 am

I understand that Adobe lists some characteristics from an illustrator file will not properly import into a ray-traced 3D shape including gradients. However, I have a very simple Illustrator logo with a black fill and every time I create shapes from my illustrator logo the fill is gone. I have tried many different colours and messed around with the fill settings and haven't had any luck. Was wondering if others had the same problem and have found a solution? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Michael Davis
Re: Raytracing 3D shapes from Illustrator file ends up having no fill
on Oct 22, 2012 at 11:08:11 am

Hi,

Did you have any luck with this?
I've got the same thing. Have an ai vector file of a map, with separate regions as different layers. When you create shapes from them, that's fine, but as soon as they're ray traced and given a fill, some of the regions are hollow (i.e. just a stroke, no fill) and some work fine. Can't see anything different in illustrator with the layers or shapes that turn hollow. They're no more complicated than the successful ones, in terms of jagged edges or anything.

Return to posts index

Joseph Morris
on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:52:20 pm

Hey,

I honestly just gave up with Raytracing in AE. I never figured out how to keep all of the elements from Illustrator when I converted into shapes. All Adobe help has to offer is to say that only some elements will work. So I just started using Cinema 4D. Clearly, AE's 3D component has a really long way to go!

Return to posts index

Michael Davis
on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:18:13 pm

Ah. Balls on toast.
Fair enough, the ray tracer does suck seem to absolutely all processing power out of the machine, which is why I use it sparingly.

Sometimes you get an error message saying there are bits too small for it to figure out. But most of the time you don't, instead you get random sections which haven't extruded properly.

That's a shame that Adobe can't offer any ideas. Couldn't find anything helpful either. I've been going round telling everyone it's great for basic 3D shapes, seems I spoke too soon...

Return to posts index

Joseph Morris
on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:58:14 pm

Yeah kind of disappointing especially since Adobe has a tutorial out that makes it seem so easy to convert illustrator paths with fills to shapes in After Effects. But the past 5-8 times I've tried the fills never converted properly. Talk about bad luck.

The only thing I use Raytrace for is camera tracking and extruding very simple things like text. Even then I just export the extrusion as a picture because the requirements for rendering at an acceptable pace in Raytrace, i.e. NVDIA graphic cards, I don't have.

Oh well, I guess After Effects is mainly a motion graphic, colouring application and they still have a long way to go when it comes to 3D. Can't knock them for trying!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]