ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Encoding DVD in Handbrake for use in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark O'BrienEncoding DVD in Handbrake for use in After Effects
by on Sep 8, 2012 at 2:23:01 pm

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me with this,

I've recently had some old VHS home movies transferred onto a DVD. I'm now trying to use Handbrake to rip footage from the DVD, so that I can bring it into After Effects and use it on a project I'm working on.

I've tried several different encoding settings in Handbrake, using the available mp4 and mkv formats, as well as using the codecs H264 and MPEG4. However, every time I import the video file into After Effects it shortens the entire video down to about 1 second and states that the frame rate of the video is -32768.00 fps. I've set the frame rate at 25 fps when encoding in Handbrake but it doesn't seem to change anything.

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Encoding DVD in Handbrake for use in After Effects
by on Sep 8, 2012 at 7:56:16 pm

Hi Mark

.... at the risk of stating the obvious....

If the encoded file looks large enough to make you think it may contain all the data in the first place then it might just be an import glitch in which case am wondering what happens if you use 'interpret footage' to set the frame rate to 25fps .... ?

If the file size is much smaller than you might expect then its probably an encoding issue.

--- not a clear answer but if you havent checked it so far its a start...........

Chris Brett // uk

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Encoding DVD in Handbrake for use in After Effects
by on Sep 9, 2012 at 3:08:37 am

If you copy the .VOB file from your DVD and rename it so it ends in .MPG, After Effects may be able to read it without transcoding.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mark O'BrienRe: Encoding DVD in Handbrake for use in After Effects
by on Sep 10, 2012 at 9:09:53 am

Thanks for your help guys. I think I've figured this one out...

I used an application called MediaInfo Mac to find the frame rate of the footage on the DVD (25fps), then specified that exact frame rate in Handbrake and set it to constant rather than variable. From my research online the 'Same as Source' frame rate option in Handbrake seems to cause problems for people.

Hopefully this will be of some use to anyone who encounters the same problem I did.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]