ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS6 ray tracing and multi processing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hervé ChampeauxAE CS6 ray tracing and multi processing
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 6:04:41 pm

Hi everyone,

It seems that multiprocessing is disabled when I activate the raytracing feature. Is that normal ? or I missed something to tweak.
thx

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE CS6 ray tracing and multi processing
by on Sep 8, 2012 at 2:21:05 pm

[Hervé Champeaux] "It seems that multiprocessing is disabled when I activate the raytracing feature. Is that normal ?"

Yes, it's normal. Multiprocessing is not supported with the ray-tracing renderer, but if you watch CPU utilization, you should see that it's rendering on all (physical) cores.

The best way to improve Ae CS6's raytracing performance is adding CUDA-enabled NVIDIA cards for processing. The GPU renderer is significantly faster than the CPU renderer and yields identical results.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Hervé ChampeauxRe: AE CS6 ray tracing and multi processing
by on Sep 8, 2012 at 3:34:33 pm

thanks Walter, I've a quadro 4000 but I'm quite disapointed by the perf if I compare with a gtx 580 . I heard that AE CS6 supports 2 Graphic cards for rendering. Is it really efficient ?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE CS6 ray tracing and multi processing
by on Sep 8, 2012 at 3:59:03 pm

[Hervé Champeaux] "thanks Walter, I've a quadro 4000 but I'm quite disapointed by the perf if I compare with a gtx 580 . I heard that AE CS6 supports 2 Graphic cards for rendering. Is it really efficient ?"

True -- the Quadros don't match the GeForces in price/performance. Have you seen Juan Salvo and Danny Princz's AE/GPU benchmarks [link]? I don't have personal experience with multiple GPUs, but the Salvo/Princz test includes three 570s in a Cubix expander as well as a single 570, installed internally. Please note that the Cubix forces its cards to share bandwidth; I'm not sure if that's a factor or not in the results.

Todd Kopriva has published some great information on Ae CS6 GPU features [link]. From his blog post:
"If you have multiple GPUs installed, the GPU-accelerated ray-traced 3D renderer will use the CUDA cores on all of them, as long as they are of the same CUDA compute level. (See the technical specifications of your GPU for its CUDA compute level.) After Effects will also use all of the VRAM on the installed GPUs, with the caveat that both cards will be treated as if they each have the amount of VRAM on the card with the lesser amount of VRAM."

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]