ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scale distortion when rotating an object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory MagnusScale distortion when rotating an object
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 6:19:56 pm

Hey Folks,

This might be a simple fix, I hope it is. I've never encountered this before though. I just started a new project and suddenly whenever I try to rotate an object its dimensions get distorted, like the angles of the images borders go from being 90 degrees to making it a parallelogram. This is obviously really obnoxious because I don't want my objects to get all bent out of shape, ya know?

This happens when I try to rotate ai images, ps files, or just straight jpgs. I restarted a few times whith no change. Is there some toggle button I'm missing here? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for any feedback. Much appreciated. Cheers.

Return to posts index

Chris GallegoRe: Scale distortion when rotating an object
by on Nov 1, 2016 at 10:33:53 pm

Hey. Did you fix that problem? How?

Chris(tian)

Return to posts index

Rory MagnusRe: Scale distortion when rotating an object
by on Nov 1, 2016 at 10:50:31 pm

Hey Chris,

I'm sorry to say I don't remember the particular project or situation that I had that problem. I think I must have figured it out. I think it was some fluke bug in my project file. Are you having a similar problem? What are you trying to do?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 1, 2016 at 11:27:27 pm

Ok (I'm sorry my English in advance).
I'm trying to rotate squared shaped (300px x 30px) to build a cube and then parent them to a null object to animate that fake cube.
Once I duplicate the first shape (a face's cube) and I rotate it 90ยบ, sometimes it change the scale of that shape.

So I'm not sure if it could be a problem with the pixel aspect ratio or what. Anyways I've not knowledge enough about After Effects so this problem could be some feature active in the interface that I activated who knows how. (maybe with a wrong shortcut or taping a key).

Chris(tian)

Return to posts index

by on Nov 1, 2016 at 11:28:59 pm

I'm sorry, I mean 300 x 300 instead what I posted

Chris(tian)

Return to posts index

by on Nov 1, 2016 at 11:58:03 pm

It could be a problem with parenting to the null object. If you create one face of the cube and parent it to a null, then make the null animate before you create the rest of the cube faces, this might cause problems. Make sure you create your complete cube before parenting it to the null.

Also, make sure you are changing the rotation property for the whole shape layer and not the rotation property for the 'contents' within the shape layer.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 1, 2016 at 11:59:18 pm

oh, nice. Glad you figured it out!

Return to posts index

by on Nov 1, 2016 at 11:54:01 pm

Oook, done. It is what I suspected.
It was a wrong selection at the beginning when we set the composition. The aspect ratio wasn't 1:1 so it seems to make a change of scale in this case when shapes are been (in this case) rotating. So I think that was the problem I was commiting

Chris(tian)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]