ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stabilize motion using the tracker

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis Costin
Stabilize motion using the tracker
on Sep 6, 2012 at 8:35:17 am

Hi. I have a shot that is supposed to be a POV shot and it's just a little too jerky at certain points. I want to find a way of smoothing these parts out. I've tried using the Stabilize Motion option with the tracker and it does a good job, but, it's a little too good :P

Now there's absolutely zero motion in the jerky parts and it just looks strange. Yes, I don't want the image to vibrate (like it is), but I still want it to move--if that makes sense. Is there some option to turn down how well AE stabilizes a shot?

Also, because only a section of the shot needs to be stabilized, is there a way of having a smooth transition to the rest of the shot (that is not stabilized)?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Stabilize motion using the tracker
on Sep 6, 2012 at 11:46:19 am

One way to get the shot less smooth would be to use the Window -> Smoother. I would duplicate the original layer first, then select your anchor points and press apply. If the results aren't enough, increase the tolerance a little.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Lewis Costin
on Sep 7, 2012 at 5:26:07 am

Thanks for the info. But I can't seem to figure out how to use the Smoother tool. Everything is greyed out in the window. Here's what I get:

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 7, 2012 at 11:35:01 am

The smoother needs something to smooth before anything can become active. Open your layer that you stabilized by pressing "U". This will reveal the keyframes. Click on the word anchor point, this should highlight all your anchor point keyframes, now you should be able press apply.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]