ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Same Ol' Question - FCP Apple Pro Res 4444 - AE CS5/6 - Gamma Shift

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boris RiabovSame Ol' Question - FCP Apple Pro Res 4444 - AE CS5/6 - Gamma Shift
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:55:22 pm

Hello,

I'm working with Apple Pro Res 4444 footage exported from Apple Color from 2K DPX files.
I've imported them into FCP - however, because several parts of the negative is scratched (I shot Super 16mm) - I've decided to clean up my footage. Having worked with two clips already, upon export they appear to be quite darker than the original footage. I've browsed forums here and several posts referred to FCP darkening the footage or misinterpreting it; however, I open the exported clips in Quicktime and they are darker than the originals as well.
I've tried playing around with the settings (the RGB preserve, etc.) but nothing seems to be working. I need to export back to Apple Pro Res 4444 in order to replace the old clips in my FCP timeline without rendering and for eventual export to HDCAM.

If anyone has any settings they've used that's worked for them - please let me know - or if anybody recommends going directly from FCP to After Effects and back, I'd like to hear those work-flow. recommendations as well.

Thank You,
-Boris

Return to posts index

Boris RiabovRe: Same Ol' Question - FCP Apple Pro Res 4444 - AE CS5/6 - Gamma Shift
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 3:07:56 pm

I'm also not quite sure about the alpha channel business.

My Timeline Settings Are:
Millions Of Colors
Gamma Correction: None

Return to posts index

keith mcgregorRe: Same Ol' Question - FCP Apple Pro Res 4444 - AE CS5/6 - Gamma Shift
by on Sep 12, 2012 at 5:25:41 pm

"A Common Gamma Correction Scenario
One of the most common situations that requires you to change the Gamma Level property of a clip is when you are rendering an RGB clip within a Y′CBCR sequence. Final Cut Pro uses QuickTime to import RGB media and always assumes that RGB media (except Apple ProRes 4444) has a gamma of 1.8. When Final Cut Pro renders these clips in a Y′CBCR sequence, the gamma is adjusted by a factor of 1.22 to match the 2.2 gamma compensation required for Y′CBCR.

The problem with this default behavior is that RGB files are not always created with a gamma of 1.8, even on Mac computers. In this case, you can adjust the gamma level of your imported RGB clips accordingly."

From FCP help files @:
http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter...

And a fun little thread with some possible solutions?
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4481713

Hope this starts you on your journey.
-Keith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]