ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How does AE reference files?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly LawerHow does AE reference files?
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 12:46:36 pm

I should of moved all the files from a shared dropbox before animating, but alas I didn't.

I've copied all the files from that folder to a new one, but if that original folder is deleted and all contents erased, I guess AE is going to throw a fit and not be able to reference anything?

It would be great if I could point AE to the new non shared folder but I guess things aren't that simple?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How does AE reference files?
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:53:21 pm

When you open your project, AE will mark any files it can't find as "Missing." Right-click one of them and choose "Replace footage." Select the file in its new location. AE should then locate other missing files in the same relative path.

You can filter the project panel to show only missing footage items by entering "missing" in the search field.

You can also use AE to collect all the files used in a project into a single directory, making the project portable. See Collect files in one location [link] for more.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Olly LawerRe: How does AE reference files?
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 2:04:38 pm

Not great news as I have about 40 illustrations, but at least there is a way!

So as long as the files are the same, then we're good to just relink?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How does AE reference files?
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:57:40 pm

Pretty much is that simple.

If AE doesn't find your files, it will tell you when you open the project. Double click one of the missing files and the explore will open, point to that file. AE will then look at that file and see if anything else is there that is missing and will relink to everything it finds.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: How does AE reference files?
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 3:19:33 pm

Mr. Lawer
If you link any one footage with the new path, AE will automatically link other files which are missing. You don't have to link each file individually. Just keep all files in one folder.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved