ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D layers not behaving like 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ellen osborne3D layers not behaving like 3D
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 3:00:10 am

Hi
I have an After Effects 6 comp with 35layers. They are all originally imported from photoshop. Some of them have been precomped from more than one layer. Some of them have effects and layer styles. Some have puppet pins or motion tracks or both. Some are parented. I have a 35mm camera. All the layers have their 3D box checked. Here's the problem. I'm trying to arrange them along the Z axis, but some of the layers will not act like 3D. For instance I can take a layer that is situated at 0 in Z space and push it way back behind a layer that is at 950 in Z space and it will never disappear behind the layer at 950. However I can take the same layer and pull it in front of other layers that are -716 and it will go in front of those. What's going on? Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 3D layers not behaving like 3D
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 6:12:07 am

Two things I can think of:

One is Layer Styles tend to mess up 3d space in AE, since Layers that have them on tend to be treated as 2d layers in the rendering order, thus appearing on top of any layers that are under that layer in the timeline.

The second is if you have an Adjustment Layer or any other 2d layer in between 3d layers- that breaks the 3d space as well.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

ellen osborneRe: 3D layers not behaving like 3D
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 12:15:09 pm

I turned off all the layer styles and I don't have any adjustment layers and the problem still exists.

Return to posts index

ellen osborneRe: 3D layers not behaving like 3D
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 4:17:16 pm

I finally got it to work by putting all my pre comps and movs (regardless of their position on Z space) at the bottom of the main comp's layer order. However, I don't understand why it should have to be this way in order for the 3D to work properly.

Return to posts index

wouter selRe: 3D layers not behaving like 3D
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 12:19:44 pm

Still what Ted said, I guess.
My bet is one or more of the movs or precomps is one of these:

An adjustment layer
A 3D layer with a layer style applied
A 3D precomposition layer to which an effect, closed mask (with mask mode other than None), or track matte has been applied
A 3D precomposition layer without collapsed transformations"

source:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]