ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Wrap Around Chain

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen joaquinWrap Around Chain
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 11:56:02 pm

Hi, i'd like to ask if anyone knows how i could possible create such a wrap around chain as in this video in second 0:13

What would be the best way to do it? Is there any tutorial for it? i searched through google and came across a tutorial about wrapping a chain using puppet tool, but for this particular effect i can't figure out to use it.

Thanks.!

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Wrap Around Chain
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 12:27:16 am

No link to video you mentioned.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Allen joaquinRe: Wrap Around Chain
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:21:25 am

Wow, my bad. This one.

^^U

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:29:01 am

One way to do it is create the straight chain art in Photoshop (or find some) .Bring it into AE CS6 and apply the new Warp effects to bend it. Then wipe it on. Its not real 3D, but viewed from the front it looks like it.

Or build a 3D chain object in a 3D program. Import it into Element (from Video Copilot) and that WILL be a real 3D object.

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Wrap Around Chain
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 6:40:34 am

There are several ways of doing it, Tom mentioned a couple.
For older versions of AE that have Free Form included, you can use the 3d distortion tools to bend the artwork in 3d space. To create the illusion that the chain is moving you will need to create a chain segment that can be replicated seamlessly, like a texture tile and use Motion tile to extend that. Make a very long composition, not tall though, just enough for the chain to be in it and animate the chain moving left to right. Precompose that, bring it in your main composition and apply Free Form to it. Use the 3d distortion controls to bend it in 3d space.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: Wrap Around Chain
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 8:18:35 am

Mr. Joaquin
Check this tutorial for alternate parenting by Eran Stern.

http://www.sternfx.com/tutorials/92

You can achieve something similar to this without any plugin or 3D software by just duplicating a single Shape.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2012 at 12:28:57 pm

[Tom Daigon] "Quote"
For the first option do u mean by any chance goin into ray traced 3D into the Geometry option and curving it? If so my chain which is a 2758 x 500 document it dosen't really "wrap" around my object, plus it does it in an horizontal way not in diagonal goin upwards, or downwards,.

About the Element 3D option, i can't get an image how that would be done. If u could give a detailed explanation would help greatly.

[Tudor "Ted" Jelescu] "Quote"
I've got Free form Pro in Cs5.5 but, the issue is that altough using the 3D transform tools it helped me greetly moving the position it's still way too complicated and sometimes i loose a lot of quality on it.

The other way i had in mind was by using cc cylinder which creates a perfect circle and using the duplicated method i could make it so that i would be able to have something inside the chains.

But the problem would be that the chain it's in an cylinder shape and not in diagonal, is there any way to fix that? I'll leave an screenshot.

However it looking the same way as in the vid.. which it looks much

[Vishesh Arora] "Quote"

I saw the tutorial very helpfull, but i just can't figure out how that would help me bend it.

At the End i just wen't for something which seemed a lot easier for me and created the chain in Cinema 4D and imported it into After effects with a multipass map.

http://i34.servimg.com/u/f34/15/24/45/56/sin_ta10.png

However, even with the multipass putting something inside ain't as easy as i thought =_=

If anyone's got any other idea or could give me a more detailed explanation would be nice, i'll keep searching thought..

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Wrap Around Chain
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:16:57 pm

There are several easy ways to put something inside of it bringing it out of CD4... one way is to create a clipping plane there (placed where your subject should be) and rendering out an object buffer pass (matte)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:36:15 pm

Element allows you to import 3D objects into AE. For details on how it works you can view the many tutorials available.

https://www.videocopilot.net/products/element/

Tom Daigon

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2012 at 7:07:30 pm

Cassius Marques.

Do you mean like modeling the "Think" i'm gonna put inside and export it as an object buffer? But what if it is moving Or i want to do some other type of movement inside of AE?

The problem is that i'd like the chains to be able to move in 3D space inside of AE! otherwide i'd have done them in cinema 4D.

Tom Daigon:
I have yet to find info about objects buffer in Element coulnd't see anything appart from the 2 tutorials they've got up about it and the Animation Engine.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2012 at 2:39:30 pm

I really can't advise you to go either way because I have no idea what you're going for. But from what I think I got... You want a 3D chain...wrapped around an extruded "think" word. Right? If its all 3D...why are you even considering doind it in AE? What else is in it?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2012 at 2:42:15 pm

Cassius: Technically it's not an extruded object.. it's just a simple mask of a guy moving a bit, u said i could export the object buffer from cinema 4D but how would i do that if my mask with the guy is inside after effects and animated in there?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2012 at 3:39:40 pm

You can simulate your subject with a simple plane positioned where he should be. or export your masked guy with alpha, and place him there.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2012 at 4:47:27 pm

Yeah, i could do that in cinema 4d.. but still i woulnt'have it in AE to move or apply other elements around him... is that the only way possible?

: (

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2012 at 5:15:50 pm

Element 3D will limit your animation capabilities.

Doing shapes/distortion inside After effects will limit your 3d capabilites and/or photorealism.

Every option you take will have it's downsides.

But with c4d you can still do everything in AE... then export your scene to C4d and do the chain there...render it out, and composite it over.

You can have several different workflows and still be able to do it. The easiest/right workflow to choose will depend on your needs and look. (camera moves, reveals of the chain, etc.)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 6, 2012 at 6:32:32 pm

Yeah the last option was the only one i did not want to touch xD. I had in mind the same think... but i'm really a mess when working, for instance when i do something at the end i might end up changing it, if i follow the last option it would have me goin back into c4d then back into AE and so on.. but i guess at the end that's the best way ^^U

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Wrap Around Chain
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 8:39:26 pm

A way I have done this that isn't mentioned is to use per character 3d text on a path. You can make a text string like this: -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o- for your chain, kern it so it overlaps and scale the characters width wise so it looks more like a chain. Apply an elliptical path to it, then link the text to the path. Make the layer a 3d layer and rotate it along the x axis 90º till it is perpendicular to the camera. Then enable per character 3d and add per character rotation of -90º along the axis. You can animate the path to make the chain undulate, or move it along the path by animating the "First Margin". Because each character is treated like a mini layer in AE, it will respond perfectly to lights and other layers. You might even be able to make a string with just oooooooooo and write an expression that flips every other o 90º along x so you have something that is even more chain like.

-Matt

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]