ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

better software for color correction

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Camacho Guerrerobetter software for color correction
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 11:39:23 am

Hello everyone,

I was wondering which is best software for color correction.

I have been using colorista 2 for a long time. The only but I could say is the lack to color grading overt in a consistent way.

I saw SpeedGrade, but I have not check it yet.

any input??

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: better software for color correction
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 12:33:56 pm

Resolve Lite is free and pretty powerful.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: better software for color correction
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 7:00:00 pm

Colorista II is a great product. (So is Synthetic Aperture's bundled Color Finesse, but I prefer to stay in AE's native, color-managed workspace.) Having access to the rest of AE's toolset is wonderful and gives you tremendous control over your image.

However, while AE has many tools and a good color management system, it's a compositing and an animating system, not a color grading system. While you can produce just about any image you want with AE, its tools and workflows weren't designed with color grading in mind. It doesn't work in real time, it doesn't support more than a single still store with on-or-off A/B comparison, it has no re-conform tools, its timeline lacks NLE-style navigation tools, its built-in point tracker is poor and can't drive its native masks, it doesn't support control surfaces.

SpeedGrade is still a very new addition to the Adobe family, so it isn't (yet) completely integrated into the suite. However, it's a good product and it could be well-worth learning as Adobe continues their integration efforts.

Tero's suggestion to give Resolve Lite a spin is also very good advice. It's free, it's ubiquitous, and it's remarkably powerful.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Victor Camacho GuerreroRe: better software for color correction
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 11:35:37 am

Thank you guys,

well as you said Colorista 2 is amazing, and I think with along tools such as rotobrush or mocha, it is a powerful combination. And besides everything is done inside AE.

Yeah, a you said I am wondering if this combination ( colortista+AE) is enough, or if it is worth to switch to another applications such as Davinci or Speedgrade.

Davinci , i have the feeling that it will get isolated in the future, and speedgrade, because is part of adobe will be the lead .

what do you think guys?

Return to posts index

Craig HarrisRe: better software for color correction
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 6:37:51 pm

Speedgrade is an amazing tool.
Colorista is more a colour effect, where Speedgrade is a professional grading solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved