ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shortcuts to apply effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy CopelandShortcuts to apply effects
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 5:02:34 am

I've been working professionally in AE for years, and I use shortcut keys for almost everything - basically, the only time I have to navigate into menus is to choose and apply effects. It would speed up my workflow infinitely if there was a way to dock a set of effects in the UI, or assign any effects I use constantly to shortcut keys to be applied that way.

Even after using the program for this long I'm still learning things about it, so I'm hoping there's an easy way to do this, or a plugin to facilitate it. Even a way of docking commonly used expressions or other actions to a macro button inside the UI would be fantastic.

Andy

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Shortcuts to apply effects
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 12:05:27 pm

Do you usually go for the drop down menus for effects? because mine are already docked to the UI as the effects pannel, and the ones I use constantly are inside a specific folder. Double clicking them is a quick way of applying IMO.

you can still assign any scripts(and effects to that extent) to a shortcut. But I honestly don't see how remembering 20 more shortcuts would be faster then quickly typing 2 letters to solo out some effect in the search field.

Return to posts index

Andy CopelandRe: Shortcuts to apply effects
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 12:26:12 pm

I use the effects panel and double-clicking as you do. I agree that remembering a lot more keyboard shortcuts would be a pain but it wouldn't be a lot that would need to be assigned to shortcuts. It's something that I figure would be infinitely faster to have a UI button to single click (and free up precious screen realestate too). Rearranging all the ones I use regularly to be in a single folder would probably save a lot of time though for a start, so I'll try that.

I'm still eager to find any ways I can minimize the UI and work without leaving from the timeline and composition windows however.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Shortcuts to apply effects
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 12:30:48 pm

be sure to also check out this

Return to posts index

Andy CopelandRe: Shortcuts to apply effects
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 12:41:27 pm

That is exactly what I'm after. I knew it would have to exist. Thanks heaps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]