ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

lens flare reflection parallel to flare

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Halder
lens flare reflection parallel to flare
on Sep 3, 2012 at 6:12:09 pm

Here's what is probably a dumb question, but that's how I learn . . .

I'm trying to have AE's lens flare's reflection be parallel to the actual flare. This works if the flare is in the middle of the screen. If I move the flare to the bottom of the screen to say, animate, on a lower third, the reflection is above the flare.

Here's an example:

If I change the anchor point or the position of the lens flare, I see the edges of the comp where the lens flare stops.

I can blow up the scale of the lens flare, but that looks bad. Not sure what else I can do to get the lens flare and reflection parallel but at the bottom or top of the screen:

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: lens flare reflection parallel to flare
on Sep 3, 2012 at 6:51:08 pm

Aplly your flare to a solid, make this solid 3x your composition's resolution.

Now you can move as desired without seeing any crop.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 3, 2012 at 7:08:02 pm

It may be obvious from the previous answer you got, but just in case is not, to get the flare and flare reflection parallel to the text you need to position your flare in the middle of your solid and then move the solid's position up and down- as long as the solid is large enough, you should be able to get what you are after.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Nathan Halder
on Sep 3, 2012 at 10:00:45 pm

Thanks Cassius and Ted. I appreciate the help. Here's my concern though - if the flare solid is 3 times as big as the comp, wouldn't the flare itself and its reflections also be 3 times as large as normal?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Sep 4, 2012 at 11:53:08 am

It's not a matter of scale...You'll be drawing the same flare, on a bigger "piece of paper".

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 4, 2012 at 11:55:02 am

Yes, they will be larger, but you will have enough room to scale it down to 50-60% with some room to move it to it's lower third position.

If you have the money, there are a few lens flare plugins out there(AE's flares are rather basic), you might want to check them out. I personally like VideoCoPilot's Optical Flares. With that one, you would create your flare and just adjust the center point to create the look you are after.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Sep 4, 2012 at 12:18:22 pm

No John, the flare won't be any larger, no scale will be required. Just repositioning.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 4, 2012 at 1:04:23 pm

Cassius, using AE's Generate -> Lens flare the flare's scale absolutely changes based on initial layer size, try it out. I thought it would be the same size too, until I started messing with it this morning.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Sep 4, 2012 at 1:25:42 pm

You're right...but I did tried before posting. odd enough it only changes if you increase it's X and Y resolution. I tripled only the Y resolution when I advised him to do it. And it stayed the same. Sorry.

So since he only wants to bring it down to lower third position, I guess that will work.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 4, 2012 at 1:51:44 pm

I didn't try only expanding the Y dimension, changed the x back to comp size and pow, the flare scales right back down. That's a strange anomaly.

We were both right and wrong at the same time...LOL

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Nathan Halder
on Sep 4, 2012 at 2:09:52 pm

Thanks everybody. John, I like the stuff at Video Copilot and the price for the flare kit is much more reasonable than Knoll's. I will check that out a little closer. I realize that some the AE effects are a little basic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]