ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Painting Alpha on Time Remapped Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David BeardPainting Alpha on Time Remapped Layer
by on Sep 1, 2012 at 9:40:17 pm

Hi Gang,

So I have some blue screen footage that I'm working on keying out. One of the shots has a gentleman wearing a shiny vest, which is reflecting some blue. There are holes in my matte that are too much for Alpha Cleaner to fix. I thought maybe I could paint white only on the alpha channel. The only problem is, my layer has some time remapping. So I went through my whole clips painting white on his vest, only to find out when I came back into my comp, the paint doesn't stay lined up due to the time remapping. Any thoughts on how I can paint on a layer that is time remapped?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Painting Alpha on Time Remapped Layer
by on Sep 2, 2012 at 4:05:50 am

All Brush actions have a Start and End parameter, accessible in the Timeline. You can KF these to line them up with the TR layer.

In the future, it's best to paint directly onto the a TR layer that has been nested.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

by on Sep 2, 2012 at 7:50:51 am

BTW, if you're using Keylight, you can you its Inside Mask property which allows you to link a mask on the same layer which will act as a Holdout Matte. More often than not, it's much easier and faster to use masks to create a Holdout Matte.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

David BeardRe: Painting Alpha on Time Remapped Layer
by on Sep 2, 2012 at 8:05:06 pm

Hi Roland,

I attempted to paint directly on the layer that I time remapped, but in the layer view, time remapping is disabled, so my timing is all out of whack.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2012 at 3:13:40 pm

Apologies for the late reply - have you tried using a mask as I suggested; with Keylight's Inside Mask property? Ensure that Time Remapping occurs in a precomp.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

David BeardRe: Painting Alpha on Time Remapped Layer
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 3:17:32 pm

I have been getting better results in the hair with Primatte, so no, i haven't had a chance to use the inside mask, But I have been making a duplicate layer with a mask applied the the trouble area (normally the chest of my talent) and have been placing that underneath to fill the holes. These holes are norally shiny sequins on the talents wardrobe, and are reflecting blue. I just use spill killer afterwards to take away the blue.

My main issue is wanting to learn how to better use the paint tool to apply alpha. But how am I able to do that with a time remapped layer. Is there no way to paint on a pre comp?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]