ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Discovery Channel Transition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ɛduardo Cruz
Discovery Channel Transition
on Sep 1, 2012 at 4:24:15 am

Any idea's how to create this simple 3D layer transition?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Discovery Channel Transition
on Sep 1, 2012 at 5:13:21 pm

If you mean the transition around 7 seconds, it's not very difficult. Just enable 3D for both layers. For the layer you are transitioning, rotate -90 on the X, move it's Y position to 0 and it's Z position to height/2. If you turn on one of your custom views your layers should look like the corner of a box.

Next you would add a null to the scene, enable it's 3D and it's Z position would be comp height/2---so for a 1280 x 720 it's z would be 360. Now just parent both layers to the null and rotate the nulls x rotation 90 degrees. You could form an entire box if you wanted and keep rotating if you wanted.

Lastly in that example I noticed a little light as it rotated so you would want to add one that is behind and over the front layer, so it only shows up as the box is turning.

I made a quick example project to illustrate the technique, hope you find it helpful: 4615_3dtransitioncs5.5.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ɛduardo Cruz
on Sep 3, 2012 at 2:04:30 pm

What about the slide at the ending? From 0:26-0:31? Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 4, 2012 at 12:11:40 pm

Pretty simple. Take your 2nd layer and place it on top of the layer stack. Enable 3D and animate the Y and Z position. There was also a little rotation added. To get the bounce I added an extra keyframe and changed the interpolation to bezier and messed with the graphs a little bit.

So this is what I did: 4623_3dtransition2cs5.5.aep.zip

These were actually some pretty basic concepts, which leads me to believe you are just getting started with AE. You would do yourself a big favor if you checked out the videocopilot training series or After Effects basics tutorials by Andrew Devis. AE is a really tough program and without a good foundation it can be extremely frustrating.

Cheers.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]