"Coming back" elements

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cerutti Nicolas
"Coming back" elements
on Sep 1, 2012 at 3:31:33 am

Hi there!

My question should be simple:

When I animate the position of an element so it leaves the composition, I would like that this element comes back from the opposite edge. That way, if the element has the size of the composition, I can have a kind of "infinite texture" moving.
Exemple: my solid leave the composition on the right but as soon as it leaves there, it also comes back on the left (like some old video games).

I don't know if I explained clearly. I am almost sure I already used that function but can't remember which effect or preset it was...

Thank you in advance!

Sakat

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: "Coming back" elements
on Sep 1, 2012 at 4:08:15 am

Place the element in your composition and then add the effect Distort -> Offset. Animate the offset position.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Cerutti Nicolas
on Sep 1, 2012 at 4:26:27 am

Oh god.. it was just that.

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 2, 2012 at 10:48:29 am

Heya John, Offset works but Stylize>Motion Tile does the same and more PLUS it supports motion blur.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Cerutti Nicolas
on Sep 2, 2012 at 4:31:04 pm

Yes at first I though about using it. But the problem with motion tile is that it does not make the element "coming back from the opposite side" but adds generated mirrors on its edge. As the layer is bigger, when generating a lot of copy or working with high resolution texture it uses too much memory (correct me if I'm wrong).

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 3, 2012 at 2:20:26 pm

[Cerutti Nicolas] "Yes at first I though about using it. But the problem with motion tile is that it does not make the element "coming back from the opposite side" but adds generated mirrors on its edge. As the layer is bigger, when generating a lot of copy or working with high resolution texture it uses too much memory (correct me if I'm wrong)."

If you simply animate Motion Tile's "Tile Center" property, leaving the tile and output widths and heights at 100, it will work like Offset does.

Motion Tile only expands the layer if you adjust the output width or height above 100, and it only mirrors the edges if you check "Mirror Edges."

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 4, 2012 at 1:05:11 pm

Before you animate the motion tile property you need to place it in a precomp of the size size as your final composition. Then you can use it like offset and motion blur.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Cerutti Nicolas
on Sep 14, 2012 at 10:56:20 am

Okay, great! Thank you again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]