ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mapping video to a globe

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marshall RiceMapping video to a globe
by on Sep 1, 2012 at 2:57:04 am

I'm a relative newbie so please excuse me if this has been addressed here. I searched but didn't find anything. I am trying to map video clips to the individual continents on a spinng globe. I have the globe clip and I can make it mask a clip, but I want the clips to move with the globe. Kind of like Epcot Illuminations...only I don't have a floating globe which shoots 60 foot flames...

Thanks,

Marshall

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Mapping video to a globe
by on Sep 1, 2012 at 7:43:33 pm

Hi,

If you mean that you want to map footage onto an existing 3d globe animation, then I think you're in for an awful lot of tedious rotoscoping, and then you'll have try and match the spherical distortion on the footage to insert.

My suggestion would be to build your own globe with CC Sphere, which will map a layer onto the surface of a sphere and let you animate it as you wish. In the layer used as the texture, you can easily mask each continent or country and insert your video footage. You'll need an equirectangular map image to work with, but you can find some free online. Things will look a bit scrunchy around the poles, but other than that it should work ok.

An alternative, if you have the plugin, would be Element from Videocopilot, who recently published a tutorial about making a globe anim.

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Mapping video to a globe
by on Sep 1, 2012 at 7:44:14 pm

Hi,

If you mean that you want to map footage onto an existing 3d globe animation, then I think you're in for an awful lot of tedious rotoscoping, and then you'll have try and match the spherical distortion on the footage to insert.

My suggestion would be to build your own globe with CC Sphere, which will map a layer onto the surface of a sphere and let you animate it as you wish. In the layer used as the texture, you can easily mask each continent or country and insert your video footage. You'll need an equirectangular map image to work with, but you can find some free online. Things will look a bit scrunchy around the poles, but other than that it should work ok.

An alternative, if you have the plugin, would be Element from Videocopilot, who recently published a tutorial about making a globe anim.

Return to posts index

Marshall RiceRe: Mapping video to a globe
by on Sep 2, 2012 at 4:19:42 am

That looks like it will work well. I have a map and I'll check out the tutorial too.

Thanks,

Marshall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]