ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Way to Make Text Skew or Faux Italicize in CS5?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah GatesWay to Make Text Skew or Faux Italicize in CS5?
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:44:20 pm

I've been Googling around and have not found a tutorial or a similar question yet.

I want to make text lean over one direction and then animate to lean over another direction. In InDesign, you would use Skew to make it lean or do a faux italicize thing. Is there no such capability in AfterEffects? The closest I've been able to find in AE is an effect called 3D Fall Back and Skew, but it involves the infuriating fall back animation and even when I manage to get rid of that, I still can't get it to skew correctly.

Surely there has to be an easier way to do something as simple as make text lean left or right in AfterEffects?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Way to Make Text Skew or Faux Italicize in CS5?
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:11:34 pm

Create your text and twirl it open. Under the Animate flyout you will find a text animator for Skew. You can now animate the skew of your text.

By adjusting the range selectors you could selectively skew your characters, or you could start with no characters skewed and have a skew wave pass over your characters.

The "3D Fall Back and Skew" isn't really an effect per se, it is text animator preset that's been saved. If you create a skew look you like you could save that and reuse it later. Text animators are extremely powerful and when you get a chance anyone who uses AE should take the time to learn how to use them way beyond just grabbing a preset.

Andrew Devis has done a series on learning AE and Lessons 39-45 are all about using text animators.

Here's a couple of quick animations using the character animators: 4612_characteranimation.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Sarah GatesRe: Way to Make Text Skew or Faux Italicize in CS5?
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:32:40 pm

Oh my god, I feel like an idiot. That was so simple. THANK YOU.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]