ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Paint brush strokes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas NielsenPaint brush strokes
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 9:51:28 am

Im trying to make a graffiti like animation of an object being sprayed on.
But the pen tool is not wide enough as a stroke tool, and i cant figure out how to use the brush tool to reveal my image?

Im seeking to do an effect much like this one:

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Paint brush strokes
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 12:11:54 pm

In that effect, it's like there is a stencil where the paint is going on, but the following technique would work in either case.

Create your object, text and place it in a comp over your background. Create a solid and call it paint. Double click your layer to open up the layer window and select the brush tool. In my example I used a brush with 600px diameter, 10 Angle, 45% Roundness and Spacing 62%. Now paint the layer where you want the spray paint to go. It took me a few attempts to get the start correct, but eventually I was able to create one paint stroke that covered my entire text.

----If you really wanted to make this easy, you could take your object and background and prerender them, re-import them and paint that layer and use it as a track matte for your solid color. that way you would know exactly where you were painting in the layer window.

Finally, open up the paint effect and turn on "Paint on Transparent" and animate the Brush -> Stroke Options -> End %

To create a look like in the video you linked, you would place your object as the top layer in the layer stack and your paint below it and change the paints track matte to alpha inverted.

To paint on the object, Paint is the top, object in the middle and the track matte would be alpha.

Here's a simple example project to get you started...

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Thomas NielsenRe: Paint brush strokes
by on Sep 3, 2012 at 11:38:00 am

Thanks alot for the quick answer, but the effect i am actually trying to produce is this rockstar logo:

Unfortunately does it somehow not seem to work, as the logo's opacity does not seem to hit 100%, neither in your linked project file
Not sure if you know what i mean :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved