ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Red Workflow Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean PerryRed Workflow Question
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 10:09:25 pm

I recently just shot a short film with the Red Epic. In order to speed up the work flow, I have switched from FCP to Adobe. I have used After Effects for years, but never with files of this magnitude. My problem comes from rendering in After Effects, which is crucial since my project has some VFX. When I preview the files in AE, the image looks fine, however, when I render the file, it appears to stutter. I have a Mac Pro with 8 gb of memory and 8 processing cores, which I know is not enough to read the files at real time.

My concern is that, even though the files look fine at half quality now in Premiere Pro (except the AE rendered files), the whole project will appear to stutter with the final render of the project.

I am editing with the native frame rate and size of the files (24 fps and 4800 x 2700). I heard that people actually edit the 5k files in 1080p. Would that help with my situation, while not loosing any image quality?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Gotta make that Sundance deadline!

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Red Workflow Question
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 4:17:31 am

Yes, some people do edit in 1080p with proxy files. On the flipside, later in the process these are replaced with the 5K files usually during effects and color correction. If you're thinking about a 4K deliverable, you'll be working in full resolution in After Effects or at least working in proxy and scaling up.

With all troubleshooting: simplify and then build up.

Start a new project, bring one RED clip in and create a comp. Try to render out to your desired output and try rendering an alternate output like h.264. At this point we just want to make sure things work, period.

Generally, if the output is stuttering, my first guess is that you're using multiprocessor rendering and are applying an effect that doesn't play well with it. These do exist: Neat Video, for instance, will crash your render in multiprocessor mode.

What is the Sundance deadline anyways? Isn't Sept 30th the late late deadline?

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved