ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Why is my PC having problems running AE CS6?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conner OrrWhy is my PC having problems running AE CS6?
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:52:58 pm

I've worked with Sony Vegas for years and just recently purchased Adobe AE CS6 and I'm new to visual effects software so I have been going through basic tutorials but I am having problems running the software. It opens fine but it seems to freeze up and crash very easily. I run on a HP DV7 Notebook, 64 bit OS with 8gb RAM, i5 processor. I thought that this would be enough to run AE CS6 but I seem to have lots of lag and it likes to freeze when I import footage sometimes. I wanted to know if there's any way to optimize my software or computer so it will run smoother, especially if I want to start doing work with Element 3D. If anyone could tell me anything it would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Hemma KranskyRe: Why is my PC having problems running AE CS6?
by on Sep 1, 2012 at 12:25:21 am

Hi Conner,

My understanding of After Effects is that it is quite a beastly program. In good ways, and in bad ways when it comes to having insufficient computer power. Much more so than Vegas and Final Cut (where a I do all my first cuts). I have an apple i7 8GB and after effects deals with everything fine until I start using certain plugins like plexus. I recently upgraded to cs6 and tried out the 3D functions (extrusion etc). Not happy! It didn't crash but was ridiculously slow. If I really need 3D in After Effects then I will do all my animating, camera movements etc first and then very lastly tick the box and create extrusions etc.

I would suggest trying to play around with RAM preview settings (start at 1/4) and your resolution on the bottom bar (1/4 also). It makes it pixelated but maybe you can switch between the two.

I have tried mucking around with optimization in After Effects and some things helped but not a lot with 'plexus' and 3D workspace. There are heaps of tuts on that topic if you fish around.

There may be installation issues as well if you want to look into uninstalling and re-installing it.

Just remember that After Effects is not comparable to the processing power required for video editing programs like final cut and sony.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to After Effects :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved