ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Slice Graph

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale PaquetteSlice Graph
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:27:05 pm

Steve Wright, in his book, "Digital Compositing for Film and Video," uses what he calls a slice graph rather extensively to illustrate important points wrt chroma and other keying. I have seen numerous posts on the Cow as well as elsewhere with people looking for such a tool as a plugin for AE, to no avail. I would like to suggest that people check out Blender, the free, open source 3D modeling program ( The latest stable version and likely some of the previous versions contains numerous work screens one of which is the UV/Image Editor. When an image (such as a frame grab from AE) is loaded, Blender offers a 3 color histogram, waveform monitor, vectorscope, and a sample line tool. The latter is, in fact, a slice graph which can be placed and orientated arbitrarily as well as made any length. The other tools are, of course, available in Color Finesse. It takes a little work to figure out how to use Blender even for this simple task. If there is interest, I can make up a cookbook methodology for you. IF there are coders among you, the Blender code is available on-line and perhaps someone could make a plugin.

For those who'd like to go further, Blender offers many other tools of direct and specific interest to VFX and editing including a 3-D camera tracker which are not available in AE (CS-6 does have a tracker).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved