ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Character Encoding Issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew GadboisCharacter Encoding Issues
by on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:10:57 pm

I'm based in the U.S. and working on a project with colleagues in Japan. When I receive their AE project files, some of their Japanese language text holds up, but some of it doesn't and ends up looking like this: ãÙêî. For example, they might name a layer with a Japanese name, but the expression that refers to that layer doesn't have the Japanese characters intact, so the link to the layer doesn't work and thus all the expressions break. Even if I wanted to manually restore them, I can't always do that because I can't tell which nonsense characters correlate to the Japanese-named layers.

Does anyone know how I might be able to avoid these issues? They also have a well-established pipeline so asking them to refrain from using Japanese characters is not possible. I need to figure out how I can work with their files as-is.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Character Encoding Issues
by on Aug 28, 2012 at 8:15:40 pm

you might try posting in the expressions forum... there may be an easy way to handle this, other than working in a japanese version of ae....

the only other ways i can think of is to perhaps have them refer to the layer's index rather than name in the expression (i'm assuming index numbers would be the same), or to convert the expression to keyframes prior to saving a version for you (or not to use expressions at all).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved